Saturday, February 01, 2014

Menu Plan

Just got back from the grocery store and put away my food, so I figured it was time to share the menu plan for this week.

By the way----before I proceed with that----a little healthy eating challenge for you :) I LOVE to feed my family good, whole, REAL food----and I love taking little baby steps toward making our eating healthier. Lately, I've been working on cutting down on some of our sugar intake. Now, we don't let the kids consume a LOT of sugar anyway, but I've realized that there are even more ways we could cut back a little. For instance----take your favorite brownie recipe. How much sugar does it call for? A cup? Chances are, they'll turn out fine and you'll like them just as well with 3/4 cup, or even less! Same with cakes, cookies, quick breads, etc. Does your family eat a lot of cereal? Try to find a kind with 6 grams of sugar or less (the less the better!) How about coffee or tea? Can you get by with 1/2 t of sugar instead of a whole teaspoon? How about yogurt? Can you buy plain instead of flavored and top it with fruit and a drizzle of honey? You'll save a LOT of sugar that way! There are ooodles of ways to cut back on sugar intake once you start looking. Our culture is used to eating highly sweetened foods, and if we train ourselves to enjoy desserts and treats with much less sugar, you'll be surprised at how quickly you get used to it, and your body will say thank you! So that's your healthy eating challenge for the week. Leave me a comment and let me know how it goes!

Now, onto the menu plan:

1. Easy baked chicken and veggies, cranberry sauce (Yes, the cranberry sauce AGAIN! I love the stuff! ;)

2. Hummus melts, garden salad, cottage cheese and grapes. Ohhhh...these things are SO good! They're one of our favorites! If you try ONE thing on my list this week, try these!!

3. Meatball sub casserole, Roasted veggies. I chop up whatever veggies I want (this week we're using broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, carrots and zucchini), drizzle on some olive oil, a shake of sea salt and pepper, and sometimes a little garlic powder. Roast them at 375 till tender. They're also good topped with feta cheese.

4. Chicken Gyros and Rainbow veggies salad. Both new recipes for us, so I'm not sure what we think of them yet ;)

5. Fried eggs on toast, crock pot green beans, fruit.









No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...