Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A million little ways


My oldest daughter is well on her way to reading 100 books this year. She's on book number 16 , and it's only February. Me? My goal this year was 12. And I'm still on book number one. Okay, and book number two. I tend to start more than one at a time....ahem. She flies through them like I used to, like a thirsty dog on a summer day lapping up as much water at a time as it can. Okay, bad analogy. Let's just say she reads a lot of books, really fast! 

My reading time these days is more in snatches.....a page or two here, a page or two there. I grab my kindle during a quiet moment and read a few more pages......

She comes downstairs and marks her next book on the chart. "That's 15 for me, mom? How far are you?" *Gulp* Um....still on book number one.

But what a book it is! I read it in snatches and then spend hours trying to process the ideas I just read. A friend on Facebook suggested it. I have several more on my reading list for this year, this just happened to be the first one I dove into. 

A million little ways, by Emily P. Freeman. Uncover the art you were made to live. The art of your life....living it for your Creator. Every little thing you do.....making it beautiful. Making everything matter. Are you a business man? Do your work for the glory of God. Are you a musician? Play your music for the praise of your Savior. Are you a nurse or a doctor? Love those patients and let them see the beauty of Christ shining through. 

Maybe, you're *just* a stay at home mom. 


You stay up late making lesson plans and gathering art supplies. But your kids finished work is beautiful, and you realize that even the mundane lesson planning can end in beauty.....


Know that birthday cake that you took time out of your day to make? Look at the smiles on your children's faces as they eat it, and the fun of being together as a family to celebrate another year together with a loved one. Many people are missing a loved one this year, and there is beauty in just being together.......





Took your kids shopping for a present for Daddy? Oh the beauty of seeing them learn the joy of giving.



The drip, drip, drip in your ceiling, brought about by a mischievious toddler and an over-flowing bathroom sink. You place buckets and mop floors, wondering where the 'art' can possibly be in this. Did you handle it with dignity? Did you show patience? Did you do your work with a cheerful spirit? Your kids will see the beauty of art even in this. The art of your life, lived to glorify Jesus, even in the mopping of floors.


Did you tuck a child in, singing songs and saying prayers, even though you  felt like you needed some tucking in yourself? Did you smooth their hairs back from their sweet face and kiss their soft little cheeks? The art of mothering.....


Is your kitchen full of five year old and three year old art work? Do you praise them and tell them what an awesome job they did? Do you help them discover the artist in themselves, even as you are still discovering the art that God wants YOU to do?


Empty hands held high
Such small sacrifice
If not joined with my life
I sing in vain tonight

May the words I say

And the things I do
Make my lifesong sing
Bring a smile to You
         ~Casting Crowns


I come to the close of another day and read just a few more pages. The art of my life. How was it lived today? Did I see the beauty in the mundane, dirty and smelly things today? Did even just one little person look at their Mama and catch a glimpse of Jesus? And when I fail....as we all do, every day......do they see me falling on my knees before Him, asking HIM to make beauty in the art of my life? I can only pray that they do. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...