Monday, January 06, 2014

Something Beautiful

It's 5:30 a.m. My alarm goes off. (And by my alarm, I mean my husband gently nudging me and saying 'Time to get up'! He is SUCH a more gentle alarm than the traditional one going 'EEE EEE EEE' right in your ear!)

I groan and roll over. I haven't woken up this early since....well, early December, before Christmas break started.

However, today is the first day starting back to home-school for us, and I am determined to give it a good start! My goal is to eat my breakfast, have my Bible reading time, exercise, fix Joel's lunch and send him off to work, and take my shower----all before Cosette's alarm goes off at 7:00.

And as I stand in the shower at exactly 6:53 shampooing my hair, I congratulate myself on a good first morning. "A New Year....a fresh Start.....lots to anticipate.....''

And then, without warning, I hear my Mom's voice from several years ago. "Jaime, you've been going on 'high speed' now for about five years. College applications....finishing college in three years.....dating an awesome guy.....engagement and a beautiful December wedding....and now you're expecting your first baby. Jaime, I really fear that some time, real life...plain, old, nasty, boring, real life, is going to slap you in the face, and it's going to deflate your balloon. I'm not trying to depress you....just prepare you for the inevitable to happen"

And as I rolled her words over in my mind, I wondered if she was right. But it's been almost ten years since that conversation, and my 'balloon' hasn't deflated yet. Life has had it's mundane, plain, boring times....but I don't feel like it's lost it's flavor.

But maybe you're not at that point right now. Maybe you're working a dead end job, surviving day to day....maybe your marriage lost it's beauty long ago....maybe you've been praying for that baby that just hasn't happened yet.....maybe you're trying to survive financially day to day. And you wonder.....how could God ever make anything new out of this? A fresh start? Hmmph....I stopped waiting for that a long time ago. Flavor in my life? It's been plain old vanilla for way too long......

But as I wondered about this too in my mind, I couldn't help but remember the words to one of my favorite songs:


You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of the dust
You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of us


The dust.....is our lives....the everyday, plain, boring, 'real' life that my mom was talking about. And HE.....God....wants to make something beautiful out of it. He wants to take your deflated, popped balloon and breathe new life into it. Because that's how God works. He takes something that seems so mundane, so boring, so plain.....like maybe your life?.....and He longs to make something beautiful out of it. And I think, maybe.....by taking my Mom's warning and adding caution and lot's of prayer.....maybe I've found the way to find beauty in the day to day......in the dirty diapers, the clogged toilets, and yes, even the occasional baby throw up. 


So no matter WHERE you are starting this New Year, be encouraged..........call on the God of all Hope, of all change, of ALL things beautiful......and give Him your life to make something beautiful :) 



A New Year....a fresh start......new life breathed into my neglected blog? I hope so :) 























No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...