Sunday, October 21, 2012

My Sunday blog post....

Seems like Sunday afternoons are turning into my 'blogging time' for the week lately....

Before I begin with the real reason for this post, I wanted to share just a few of my favorite photos from a recent family photo shoot. I LOVE, love, love how they turned out!

Higher Focus Studios: Curtis Family  curtisfamily68


Higher Focus Studios: Curtis Family  curtisfamily12


Higher Focus Studios: Curtis Family  curtisfamily32Higher Focus Studios: Curtis Family  curtisfamily59























Okay, enough pictures of my lovely family ;) On to what is really on my mind today....

Chocolate. Haha. No, seriously, my main point is a little more sophisticated than just plain chocolate ;)  I have always had a terrible sweet tooth. I would be quite happy with a huge hot fudge sundae, decked out with whipped cream and cherries, after every single dinner. Obviously, this can't happen---'cause as much as I love chocolate, I also love feeding my family foods that are good for them :)

However....I DO enjoy having just a little something special to enjoy after meals....a way to 'unwind' after our day, or an excuse to linger a little longer at the table with my husband and a cup of tea.

I've been trying to find some 'healthier' alternatives lately that still add that 'something special' feel to the end of a meal, without an additional 30 grams of sugar or 400 calories :) These are the
'healthy' desserts we've tried lately that everybody has enjoyed:

Mudballs. Really easy to make, really yummy, and pretty 'healthy'. I didn't have wheat germ, so I substituted ground flax seed---worked just fine.

We seriously loved this single ingredient banana ice cream with just a dollop of whipped cream on top .

We enjoyed this cream cheese pastry for breakfast one morning, although it would also make a great dessert.


These baked apples with oatmeal streusel topping came together quickly. I cut down on the sugar a little in this recipe and it turned out fine.

My kids devoured these pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. I used honey since I don't keep sucanat around. Also used olive oil instead of the butter. Yumminess!


And lastly, this is one recipe I haven't had a chance to try, but I think it sounds really yummy. I'd love to try this fruit salsa with whole wheat tortillas at some point.


And there you have it. My efforts to feed my family responsibly and still enjoy dessert :) Hope you find these recipes an encouragement in your own healthy eating :) 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...