- Cosette's smile as she whizzed through her 7's times table, happy that she remembered it after a summer away from math.
- Noah's rain-bow colored letter 'A'---he is thrilled with ANY paper that you hand him and call it 'school'. He wants to be just like the 'big kids'
- Eli's mile-wide grin when I told him we were learning about Dinosaurs this year and opened up the 'Dinosaurs in Eden' book. "Oh wow, cool mom!"
- Leanna's stack of perfectly clean underwear---because it stayed that way the whole day! She is making it to that potty 99.9 % of the time, and I couldn't be more thrilled. (Potty training counts as school when you're two, right?!)
- Our Kitchen table and floor, strewn with papers, tape, notebooks, pencils, crayons and books, when we finally called it a day and set about cleaning up that huge mess.
- Our schoolroom table covered with the boys paintings. No, this wasn't our official 'art' curriculum, but our school day seemed to have gotten their creative juices flowing, and they spent a long time painting and making perfect little boy messes.
And those pictures would have only caught the beginning of what was a terrific first day back to school. Yeah, the excitement will eventually wear off, the 'new' books will run out, and we'll settle into a comfortable routine. I count myself blessed to live in a country where I have the option of homeschooling my children.