Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Applesauce Day

Yesterday was apple-sauce day. It comes but once a year, and for that I am very grateful! It makes the whole kitchen hot and incredibly sticky----but all the applesauce in the freezer is worth it!

I decided to 'document' the whole process this year---just in case you're unfamiliar with the way to make homemade applesauce----the stuff from the store just does not compare after you've had this stuff!


We use Lodi apples, which are usually ready mid to late July. I only did 1/2 a bushel this year, because I still had a good bit in my freezer from last year. All of the apples fit in the sink to wash them.



I put this contraption together by myself---and was mighty proud of it, too ;) It's an apple musher. (I'm sure there's a more technical term for it, but I'm too lazy to go look at the box and find out what it is ;) My mother-in-law got me this for Christmas :)


First step: Have a pretty little seven year old who is more than happy to help you wash all those apples.

Second step: Put enough water in a pot to just cover the bottom completely---like, no more than an inch. Slice your apples, discarding only the stems (the musher-thingamabob will take care of all of the seeds and skins). Turn your burner to med-low and cover your pot. It takes about twenty minutes or so for one pot to cook. I usually only stir them  once, about half way through, to make sure they're not sticking.


You'll know they are ready when they look like this:

Step three: Have a cute newly-turned four year old who desperately wants to turn the crank on that awesome looking machine!


Step four: Look at all your gorgeous applesauce :) Stir in a little sugar. I added about three cups or so for this batch, which ended up being between 14 and 18 pints. I know that sounds like a lot of sugar, but when you consider how much is in store-bought applesauce, not counting all the nasty high-fructose corn syrup and stuff that's also often in there, it doesn't seem so bad anymore :)

Scoop that applesauce into bags and stick it in  your freezer!


1 comment:

Pony and Petey said...

I use a mixture of different kinds of apples and loads and loads of cinnamon and don't need to add any sugar. Don't know if you've ever tried your's that way but thought I'd let you know. Lodi apples might not be as sweet as the Gala, Fuji, Red and Yellow Delicious and Granny Smiths that I typically use...

My process is the same except I use an immersion blender (that stick blender thingy) right in the pan that the apples cooked in...works AWESOME! I used to use my food processor but the immersion blender works better and one less big thing to wash up = )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...