Wednesday, May 02, 2012

A 'No Nonsense' type of person, or maybe better titled "His Grace is Enough" :)

My Mama was always a 'no nonsense' type of person. She didn't like hearing her kids whine or complain. If you were given a job to do, well then, just do it! She also didn't want us making a bigger deal out of stuff than was necessary. I remember one time when I didn't want to make a phone call to someone for some reason or another, and Mom made me sit at the table until the phone call was made. No nonsense.

And I think, maybe, that's the reason I'm the kind of mother I am today. Some of my mom rubbed off on me. I am a 'no nonsense' kind of Mom.

If my child comes running to me and says "Mom! Leanna was playing in my stuff again!" I respond with "Did you leave your bedroom door open again so she could get in there?" "Um, well, yeah....." "Well then, I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy. You've been told not to leave your bedroom door open."

Now, grant it, Leanna is also disciplined for getting into stuff she's not supposed to be into, but the older child is not given much sympathy when they've been negligent to obey.

When a child comes to me saying "Moooooommmmmm! (That was a whiny voice!) So and So called me a mean naaaaaaameeeeeee!", I immediately tell them that I can't help them or even listen to them until they stop whining. Ugh. NO whining in my house, it drives me crazy!

And so, I guess, maybe that's part of the reason why I am the way I am when I hear people say "I just don't have TIME for daily devotions or Bible reading. I'm just TOO busy!"  But then they go on to say about how they wait until the last possible minute to get up in the morning, or about the four hours they spent watching the latest movie trilogy last weekend......and, yep, you guessed it, I have NO sympathy.

The Bible tells us to use our time wisely.....to not 'count on' tomorrow, because it's not guaranteed.....etc, etc. 


At the beginning of the year, Joel and I started a new 'morning schedule' that consisted of getting up earlier and having more time in the mornings for devotions and quiet time.

I was afraid that would end when Reagan got here, that I wouldn't be able to keep it up with a newborn. But, except for that first week when he was still so new and I was recovering, I haven't missed a morning.

Sometimes it's really hard. When my husband comes up at 5:30 a.m. and nudges me awake, sometimes I don't feel like getting up. Sometimes I'm literally sitting in the chair nursing Reagan while doing my Bible Reading. But I've wanted to give this time to God, and, by His Grace, He's helped me to stick with it.

And I guess all this is to just say----YOU CAN DO IT!! You CAN fit Bible Reading and prayer time into your day, it just depends on where your priorities are. I know we all have different schedules, different responsibilities, different commitments. I'm not saying everybody has to be up at the crack of dawn.  But everybody can find a way to carve out time in their day SOMEWHERE to fit in what is important to them. Hey, we all find time to take a shower, right? We just make that happen, 'cause we don't want to walk around all smelly and gross. So you CAN make Bible reading time happen too! For me, with five little kids, mornings are just the best time, before they're awake, to make that happen. So I am confidant that you, too, can find a way to make them happen----Some way, Some how, Some time!


We're all given the same 24 hours in a day----it's up to us to prioritize them :)
And  now, I have five little people up and hungry, so.....off to make the most of my day :) Blessings to you as you seek out that quiet time!

(And by the way, this post was brought on by my own recent struggles to succeed in this area. Thankfully, God has given more grace and helped me through the temptations to give up the morning quiet times. This is not an effort to high-light my own determination, but rather what can happen when we let GOD pull us through :)


2 comments:

Helen said...

Maybe I am just reading this at the right time. I just ordered a new study bible (every now and then I need a new bible besides my old worn out one, just to find new tracks...).

But I was already not sure if I will make it - with all the studies and work and homework and else. But I guess if you can do it next to your kids and all the work, I should better not whine
:-)

Anonymous said...

Jaime....great post! We were just talking about this today..thanks for the encouragement. Love ya, Dad

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...