Saturday, April 21, 2012

Reagan James, Birth Story :)

I know that some of you have been wanting to see the new-born pictures of Reagan, and I wanted to write down his birth story for my own memory's sake. These photos were taken by a photographer friend of mine who was brave enough to be there during the whole labor and delivery, bless her heart :) I hope you enjoy my precious little guy!

So, the morning of March 26th, my due date dawned, and---nothing. March 27, nothing. However, over the next couple of days, I started to have regular contractions, to the point that Joel even stayed home from work one afternoon because we thought 'This is it!' Nope. It wasn't until the evening of March 29th that 'real' labor started. I sat down on the bed around 8:30 to watch a movie with Joel, and suddenly a 'REAL' contraction hit me---and I knew this was it! By 10:00 or so, I called my sister, who was planning to be there for the birth, and told her to 'get ready!' :) She joined us in our kitchen around 2:00 a.m., where Joel and I were up and timing contractions, eating snacks and STILL watching a movie :) Joel's Mom came over to stay with the kids around 4:00. At that point, I walked back into the kitchen from another room and suddenly said in irritation "Turn that movie off!" And that's when we knew we'd be leaving soon. My friend who was taking pictures arrived shortly thereafter, and we all headed over to the hospital.



Why my babies always insist on coming in the wee hours of the morning, I'll never know. But, there we were, at the hospital at 5:00 a.m.. I got all 'suited up' in the dreaded hospital gown, and waited for the doctor to arrive. We were disappointed that a mid-wife was not available that morning, but our attending doctor did an excellent job, and all was fine :)


I am pleased to say that I have now made it through five labor and deliveries with no drugs, medications, epidurals, etc. It was five of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but SO totally worth it :) As I laid there missing my mom and sad that her happy face wouldn't be poking it's head around the door this time to see my beautiful baby, I was grateful to have my sister there with me instead. There's something special about having someone there whom you know loves your baby almost as much as you do :)


At 6:46 a.m., after about 10 minutes or so of pushing, Reagan James Curtis entered our world. He has lots of brown hair and BLUE eyes, the first of my boys to not have brown eyes :) We all guessed his weight to be around seven pounds, so we were amazed at this scale reading:


I absolutely LOVE this next picture of him!


 
Our nurse who came in on the morning shift did a great job and got him smelling sweet :)



He was the perfect addition to our family that we didn't know was missing until he got here ;)














2 comments:

Sharon said...

Beautiful pictures. He has the brightest eyes. What a joy! Joy cometh in the morning.

Love....Sharon

Helen said...

He is so alert in those newborn pictures, amazing. Aren't most babies sleeping? Guess you have a curious little one there.

Can't wait to see the next months and years on your blog, love following your family here... (I know I know, I comment so rarely, but I am reading, really!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...