Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Changing things up a bit

Sometimes, I think I'm kind of clueless. Example. For years now, I have been trying to have my 'quiet time' in the mornings. Here's the problem---my husband leaves for work at 6:45, so that means in order to fix his lunch, I need to be down to the kitchen by, like, 6:20, 6:30 at the latest. Which meant, if I wanted a quiet time in the mornings, I was needing to be up by like 5:45 or something. Ugh. I'm a morning person....but not THAT much of a morning person. Chasing four children around all day is hard enough without having to rise at the crack of dawn. So, I tried having my quiet times after Joel went to work. Problem with that is, the kids (especially my boys) usually wake up between 7 and 7:30, so half the time I was having my 'quiet time' with two little boys climbing all over me. Yeah---kind of breaks the whole spirit of things! Plus, in the mornings, my mind is always going 100 mph with things I need to do, get started for the day, etc, etc. So I'd end up losing my focus and not really concentrating. So what's a mom to do??

Then, after 6.5 years of having children, it finally hit me the other day. I said to myself "Dummy! (I'm allowed to say that to myself, but nobody else ;) Dummy...why don't you have your quiet time in the evenings? The kids will be in bed, the day is winding down, you are more relaxed, instead of thinking about 'everything that needs done today'." Joel is usually asleep before me, anyway, and I would use that time to read a book or blog or make a grocery list or whatever. But NOW, I've been using that time to read my Bible and pray and just....have quiet time!

I know, I know...it kind of goes against the whole 'starting your day with God' idea, that 'beautiful, peaceful morning time' that I always had in my mind. But let's face it, when you have little ones, you have to mix things up a little....find what works for you. And morning quiet times just weren't working.
So, for the past little while, my evenings have been spent in the Word. Instead of 'waking up' to it, I'm putting it in my mind before I go to sleep, and I've actually been able to concentrate better, stay awake easier, and appreciate the time with God more than I was before. And besides, when our new little one joins us next spring, I'm sure I'll be up late with him/her anyway :)

So that's my 'useful tip' for moms with little ones today. If your quiet time isn't 'working'-----change it a little! Find a different time of day, a different location, whatever you need to do to make it work!

"Your Word is a lamp unto my feet....."









No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...