Tuesday, June 21, 2011

It's more about what (or WHO) I DO have!

We were gone all day yesterday to a family gathering. The kids had a blast playing with their cousins, eating picnic food, riding scooters, etc. And then, we had to rush back to our area for Cosette's 6:30 soccer game. By the time we all got home, we were exhausted. When I woke up this morning, there were toys everywhere, dishes filling my sink from the food I had made yesterday, laundry up to the ceiling (and that's only a slight exaggeration!!), floors needed swept, the bathroom and tubs were full of little boy's dirty foot prints and all the trash cans were over-flowing with dirty diapers and yuckiness. Oh, and did I mention that I need to go grocery shopping?? Splendid. Just splendid. I could see what I'd be doing for the whole rest of the day.

I found myself standing at my sink, washing those dishes, missing my mom soooo much. This was just one of those days when I would have called her and asked her to please keep the kids for a few hours so I could find my house under all the mess. And she would have gladly done it. And I could see her face so clearly in my mind, and hear her voice, and I remembered days in the past when I was so pregnant, and she would come up and clean through my whole house for me. Tears rolled down my cheeks and splashed in the dish water.

I took myself to the living room, where we keep  scrabble racks and tiles out on the mantle. On it, any family member is allowed to express their feelings about anything that's happening. Past sentences have said stuff like 'Summer beauty' 'Eli is five today!' 'Love my Man' 'The Joy of the Lord', that kind of thing.

Today, I laid out the tiles for "I need a maid". Excuse my immaturity---it's just how I felt!

Well, as I stood as the sink, finishing the dishes, I heard a little voice behind me. It was Cosette. She said "Mama, maybe you should check the scrabble tiles now and see what they say."

I walked to the living room, curiosity filling me. This is what I saw:













And she did. More than any normal six year old would have willingly helped out! So, it's not all about what I DON'T have anymore, but more about what I DO have, right? Thank you Lord, for my blessings.


And now, since Cosette has helped me to finish the bottom of the house, I'm done my break and headed upstairs to tackle THAT mess........... :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That brought tears to my eyes. It is so humbling sometimes when they show their sweet little hearts desiring to please. Hope the rest of your day goes well!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Jaime...I also cried when I read this. Knowing your Mom will always be missed by all of us, and how much help she was to you. But, God has blessed you with one sweet special little girl...who we all love so much...(and I miss). I am so glad you Thank God for your many Blessings!!! I love you Dad

Chuck said...

wow

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...