Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Grumpy Words

I have learned something in the past 7 1/2 years. I would like to share this piece of advice with you all. This is particularly important for moms with young children, but I'm sure it can apply to anybody in any situation. Here it is---my tip of the day.


"Don't say anything when  you're tired and worn out"


 When you've been up since 6:00 a.m., and it's now 11:30 p.m., and the baby is crying and not going to sleep, and you literally haven't had five minutes to yourself today, and the two year old ate an entire bowl of candy while hiding under the kitchen table, and......well yeah. When you've had one of those days, and your perspective is just completely lop-sided......... just don't say anything.

I speak from experience! I've had days like the one above (although, thankfully, none that bad  this week...yet!) And then, when you're body is tired, and your emotions are worse than a roller coaster, you look at your poor, unsuspecting husband and say something uncaring like:

  • ALL I ever do is clean people's clothes! Do you know how sick I am of washing, drying, folding and putting away laundry?
  • Maybe I could keep up with everything better if you'd just help out more!
  • Our two year old really drove me up the wall today! I think we're failing with him!

And then, the next morning, after you've had a good night's sleep (say, four hours or more in a row ;)  you see everything with a brighter perspective. And you realize that you don't really mind folding your family's laundry---that your husband DOES help out around the house----and that you are certainly NOT failing with your two year old, it just felt that way.

So.......just don't say anything. When the words are out of your mouth.....that's it. They can't be taken back. You can apologize, you can be forgiven, you and your spouse, by the grace of God can move on, but the words have already been spoken.

So, the next time you feel like shouting "There are kids running around everywhere and I'm about to loose my mind!!!!"---- instead, take a deep breath, turn the other way, and go count your blessings. Literally. Think about what you were about to say, whether it will help anybody, benefit anybody, or be 'edifying to the listener'. If not, then.....don't say it. :) As simple as that. Because, we all know that in the morning....everything looks brighter!

"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers." Eph. 4:29


I post this because it's been such a hard lesson for me. When I'm tired and worn out, I don't fall asleep on the couch---I get grumpy! And I've had to learn over the years what that 'grumpy' feeling feels like, and how to keep my mouth shut tight when I feel that way! Tonight was such a night. It was a long day, the boys were rowdy, food prep took forever....and I felt the grumpy feeling coming on. But, Praise Jesus! I kept my mouth shut tight!! And now, the kids are in bed, I'm relaxing a little, and I feel so much better having said nothing that I would regret tomorrow morning.

Can I challenge you to do the same? :)










4 comments:

paul said...

I think God has an extra dose of mercy ready for us on days when we don't get a good night's sleep. :)

Elizabeth said...

I will try to remember that when I'm a momma some day...and on the days when I feel that way just living around the rest of the adults as I think we all have those days when we just get worn out living with other people (especially those we love).

Interesting that you bring this up too after we talked the other night about not letting the sun go down on our anger.....we all need that discernment to know when something needs to be said and then let go and when something just needs to be let go period, don't we? I know it's something for me to work on too.

Chuck said...

So this is how to live the Christian life. Grab on to a scripture that the Holy Spirit leads, like Eph. 4:29
Have faith that God wants to make it real in your life and make the choices that line up with the work that the Holy Spirit is doing.
And so the violent process of sanctification continues. "Putting to death the deeds of the flesh, by the Spirit." Romans 8:13

plantmyappletree said...

Another wise and encouraging post on your blog - I love how they are spread in your photo/kids/everyday posts - it is always finding a little treasure here when I come over, thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...