Do any other moms struggle with breakfast? I sure do.
I want variety--I get tired with the same old toast and jam. I want it to be healthy---no '14 g of sugar' cereal for my kiddos, please. I want it to be quick---because it's 8 a.m., I've been up for two hours already, and we're all starving! So what's a mom to do?
We DO keep a few boxes of cereal in the cupboard, and there's usually a morning or so a week where I just throw up my hands and say "Just pour yourselves some cereal!"
But cereal doesn't last my boys very long. As in---they need more to eat. As in---Eli finishes his first bowl and says ''So, what ELSE is for breakfast, mom?" Lord, have mercy!! The other morning, for breakfast, Eli had a big bowl of cereal, a dippy egg, a piece of toast, a banana and a whole glass of milk. And he's skinny, skinny! But I DO know where he puts it all----he's about ready to pass his sister in height!
But, back to breakfast.......here are a few of our recent favorite ideas for breakfast. Do me a favor. If you read these, take a minute and let me know one or two of YOUR favorite breakfast foods. It would add some variety to our morning meal :)
1. Apple and Cheese Quesadillas-----Take whole wheat quesadilla, spread it with a thin coat of olive oil, sprinkle on some sugar and cinnamon, and slap it on your griddle. Fill ONE HALF of it with shredded cheddar cheese, a layer of thinly sliced apple, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and more cheddar cheese on top of that. Grill the quesadilla open-faced, and then, right before serving, flip over the empty side to make a closed quesadilla. This is one of our favorites---SO yummy! The kids were eating them this morning as fast as I could make them!
2. Egg Sandwich. I admit it, I'm no good at making this. I overcook the egg almost every time. So Joel often makes them for us on Saturday mornings, because he's good at making dippy eggs :) Here's how----Toast an English muffin (or, if you live in our house, toast 6-8 English muffins to fill up everybody), then smear it with 'healthy' mayo, a dippy egg, and a sprinkle of your favorite cheese. You can put the cheese on the egg as it cooks to make it all melty and yummy :) Joel and I like to add a slice or two of deli roast beef to the griddle as the egg cooks and then add it to the sandwich---even more tasty!
3. Oatmeal. Joel detests it---he will. not. eat. it. Cosette tolerates it. The rest of us LOVE it and cheer when I fix it :) So, we never have it on the weekend when Joel's home for breakfast :) Here's how I do it----Quaker quick-cook oatmeal (however much you want), twice as much water as oatmeal (or add some milk), a sprinkle (small sprinkle) of cinnamon and nutmeg, a good teaspoon of vanilla OR almond flavoring. Dump it all in the pot, stir, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. You can add blueberries as well, or sprinkle some flaxseed on top to be extra-healthy and make up for the extra piece of cake you plan on eating later ;)
4. Yogurt Parfaits----A layer of yogurt, a layer of banana (or any other fruit mixture), a layer of organic, flax-seed granola. Repeat layers. Only this doesn't typically fill up my boys, so we usually have toast with it as well :)
5. A whole wheat bagel with cream cheese. That's it. (Or, if you wanna be really fancy, smear some simply fruit jam on top of the cream cheese :)
Okay, I'm out of ideas! Help!!! Leave me a comment and give me some new breakfast ideas :) I KNOW you're dying to try that egg and roast beef breakfast sandwich now, so be nice and give me some new inspiration :) I'm looking for 'different' ideas here----please don't tell me you eat toast or pop tarts every morning :) Oh, and please don't mention cream of wheat. That stuff gags me. But any other ideas are quite welcome :)