Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"What's for breakfast, Mom??"

Do any other moms struggle with breakfast? I sure do.

I want variety--I get tired with the same old toast and jam. I want it to be healthy---no '14 g of sugar' cereal for my kiddos, please. I want it to be quick---because it's 8 a.m., I've been up for two hours already, and we're all starving! So what's a mom to do?

We DO keep a few boxes of cereal in the cupboard, and there's usually a morning or so a week where I just throw up my hands and say "Just pour yourselves some cereal!"

But cereal doesn't last my boys very long. As in---they need more to eat. As in---Eli finishes his first bowl and says ''So, what ELSE is for breakfast, mom?" Lord, have mercy!! The other morning, for breakfast, Eli had a big bowl of cereal, a dippy egg, a piece of toast, a banana and a whole glass of milk. And he's skinny, skinny! But I DO know where he puts it all----he's about ready to pass his sister in height!

But, back to breakfast.......here are a few of our recent favorite ideas for breakfast. Do me a favor. If you read these, take a minute and let me know one or two of YOUR favorite breakfast foods. It would add some variety to our morning meal :)


1. Apple and Cheese Quesadillas-----Take whole wheat quesadilla, spread it with a thin coat of olive oil, sprinkle on some sugar and cinnamon, and slap it on your griddle. Fill ONE HALF of it with shredded cheddar cheese, a layer of thinly sliced apple, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and more cheddar cheese on top of that. Grill the quesadilla open-faced, and then, right before serving, flip over the empty side to make a closed quesadilla. This is one of our favorites---SO yummy! The kids were eating them this morning as fast as I could make them!


2. Egg Sandwich. I admit it, I'm no good at making this. I overcook the egg almost every time. So Joel often makes them for us on Saturday mornings, because he's good at making dippy eggs :) Here's how----Toast an English muffin (or, if you live in our house, toast 6-8 English muffins to fill up everybody), then smear it with 'healthy' mayo, a dippy egg, and a sprinkle of your favorite cheese. You can put the cheese on the egg as it cooks to make it all melty and yummy :) Joel and I like to add a slice or two of deli roast beef to the griddle as the egg cooks and then add it to the sandwich---even more tasty!


3. Oatmeal. Joel detests it---he will. not. eat. it. Cosette tolerates it. The rest of us LOVE it and cheer when I fix it :) So, we never have it on the weekend when Joel's home for breakfast :) Here's how I do it----Quaker quick-cook oatmeal (however much you want), twice as much water as oatmeal (or add some milk), a sprinkle (small sprinkle) of cinnamon and nutmeg, a good teaspoon of vanilla OR almond flavoring. Dump it all in the pot, stir, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. You can add blueberries as well, or sprinkle some flaxseed on top to be extra-healthy and make up for the extra piece of cake you plan on eating later ;)


4. Yogurt Parfaits----A layer of yogurt, a layer of banana (or any other fruit mixture), a layer of organic, flax-seed granola. Repeat layers. Only this doesn't typically fill up my boys, so we usually have toast with it as well :)


5. A whole wheat bagel with cream cheese. That's it. (Or, if you wanna be really fancy, smear some simply fruit jam on top of the cream cheese :)


Okay, I'm out of ideas! Help!!! Leave me a comment and give me some new breakfast ideas :) I KNOW you're dying to try that egg and roast beef breakfast sandwich now, so be nice and give me some new inspiration :) I'm looking for 'different' ideas here----please don't tell me you eat toast or pop tarts every morning :) Oh, and please don't mention cream of wheat. That stuff gags me. But any other ideas are quite welcome :)



3 comments:

amy said...

Well, I eat protein bars - but for kiddos, what about French Toast? Too much sugar maybe... How about whole wheat pancakes?

My mom makes a lot of breakfast casseroles - lovely combinations of eggs and sausage and veggies and perhaps bisquick?

Those are probably my most favorite breakfast. A lot of restaurants are serving these "bowl" breakfasts which is eggs, sausage, hash browns and cheese all dumped together in a bowl. Their serving sizes are of course ridiculous, but a smaller portion could be very healthy. I like your ideas, thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

How fun!

I sometimes take a banana, smear it with peanut or almond butter, and then roll it in granola or bran.

Smoothies!!!

And one of my favorites that sounded so gross when I first heard about it but so yummy. Make a crepe and fill it will cottage cheese and a little bit of jam (blackberry is my favorite). I can't explain how or why, but the combination makes it really creamy, and it doesn't taste like cottage cheese or jam. I sometimes sprinkle powder sugar on top or even dollop with a little bit of cool whip if I am looking for an extra adventure. (Of course, crepes filled with normal fruti are delicious as well!)

Elizabeth said...

Here is my favorite---for a really filling breakfast that should last them through lunch. Buy the whole wheat (or like tonight I couldn't find them at all so I got cinnamon-raisin) bagels in the cold/fridge section (they stay fresh longer than the ones with the rest of the bread). This is my 'healthy version' of the egg mcmuffin. Toast the bagel and while it's toasting fry an egg, 1-2 pieces of turkey bacon and put that on the bagel to make a sandwich (come to think of it, I usually use turkey lunch meat but turkey bacon also works) and if you want, a little jelly/jam. It's super good, full of protein and fiber and very filling.

I've also been taking a liking to making up new smoothies every morning. This morning my mom and I had an amazing one I just threw together---frozen peaches, frozen strawberries, a little( maybe 3/4 cup) of o.j, some ice cubes, a bunch of vanilla yogurt( more than a cup---maybe 1 1/2 cups at the most), and a little milk (about 1/2 cup to make the consistency not so thick. Then, after blending I mix in a little flaxseed (thanks for introducing me to the stuff....I LOVE adding it to things like this!

Hope you like these ideas :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...