Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Our task

I turn from the van, struggling not to drop my arm load of stuff. A diaper bag, my purse, a pan full of left-over cupcakes, various odds and ends collected from my van floor---they all crowd my arms and threaten to send them----or me---sprawling rather un-gracefully on our garage floor.



And then, suddenly, from behind me, I hear a little voice "I can carry some of that for you, you know, Mama".



My Eli-guy has come to my rescue! He proudly grabs an arm load of stuff and grins up at me. "I'm your good helper, huh, Mom?" .....................







I feel the warm, sudsy water on my hands and arms. I pull the first dirty cup from under the water, ready to wash it clean, when I see something out of the corner of my eye. A little girl is moving the kitchen stool over to the counter, with a dish-cloth over her arm.



"I'm gonna dry them Mom, okay?"



And so, without me asking, she dries the sink full of dishes. And we stand there and talk and laugh. And she refuses to go eat her ice-cream until the dishes are all dried and put away..........









I round the corner into the living room, and hear a little voice singing. It's Noah. He's sitting on the couch, holding his Sunday School paper. It's a little book about the miracles of Jesus that he made in Sunday School. On the back is a little copy of ''Jesus Loves Me". There sits Noah, 'singing' his Sunday School song. He knows how to say none of the words, but he's humming the tune and 'reading' his little book.



"Noah, do you like that song?"



He grins up at me "Yeah".............







Motherhood can be full of 'yuckiness'.......temper tantrums, disobedience, dirty diapers, late nights, early mornings, loads of laundry, runny noses..........but as we patiently work through those times, and use them to train, teach, disciple, instruct, and love our little ones.....God graciously gives us these 'easy' moments of blessing. Savor them. Appreciate them. Thank God for them. Let them ease your soul and refresh you.

And then move on to the next challenging task in front of you, remembering that you are helping to shape these little souls for eternity.

At least, that's what I keep reminding myself of each day :)

3 comments:

Chuck said...

excellent reminder

Elizabeth said...

I will try to remember your many words of wisdom when I am a mommy some day :) You do such an excellent job of keeping things in perspective and squeezing all of the good out of everything. Although I don't know those challenges that you have every day, I see your beautiful children and am so happy to see my friend ENJOYING every moment of being a mother, even with the challenges. My friend's children are all growing so fast and you're making wonderful memories that will last forever :)

Amy said...

This made me cry Jamie. You're such a great mom...it makes me wish for things that weren't.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...