Thursday, February 24, 2011

Bending the Rules

So, we are pretty tight with 'schedule' around here. You have to be to get anything done in a household with four children six and under! Nobody out of rooms in the morning till 7:30, naptime at 2:00, bedtime at 7:30, Wednesdays and Saturdays are always bath nights....that type of thing.

But Thursday nights, we bend the rules a little. And it's a good thing :)

I used to go to my Mom's house every Thursday evening for our ladies Bible study group (affectionately referred to as 'Thursday Sisters') The kids would stay home with Joel. But, my Dad moved several weeks ago, and we naturally needed a new place to meet.

So every Thursday evening, the ladies of my Bible Study group gather in my living room now to read, study, fellowship and...uh....eat chocolate :)

Joel keeps the boys upstairs and puts them to bed on time. But Cosette gets to stay up and participate in the group. She so looks forward to this every single week! And it blesses my heart to have my daughter in the group with me now.

Last week, she sat there, discussing the Holy Trinity like a grown up. This week, she was offering comfort to a member whose grandfather recently passed away. '' I know just how you feel. It's hard to lose someone you love. I know, because I just lost my Grandma Karen, and I really miss her"

I know that the old 'homeschoolers don't know how to socialize' theory has pretty much been laughed at and discredited by now, but seriously-----how could you look at my six year old, sitting in a room full of adults and participating in a Bible Study and still stick to that theory?

She sits there, she listens. She hears us reading Scripture, discussing it, pouring over it, doing our best to understand it and apply it. She sees that, to her Mommy, as well as all the other ladies in the room, Jesus is the most important person in our lives. He is our Savior.

And that, my friends, is worth staying up two hours past bed-time! :)









3 comments:

plantmyappletree said...

I love imagining this and this will sure plant such a valuable seed in your daughters heart, too.

I also laugh about the "homeschoolers not being social" part. My friend does homeschooling for her three kids instead of sending them to kindergarden (for school there is no choice in Germany, you HAVE to send the kids, or you can go to prison - no joking here!).
And when they were doing the school tests to see if she meets the standards for first grade, she was exceptionally the best of all.

Chuck said...

I remember a very old post where a very young Cossette would "chat up" a neighbor, she has always been out-going, gets from her dad is my guess!

Marsha said...

You've been doing an excellent job with Cosette, and all your little ones. The seed your planting with Cosette is on well-toiled soil from growing up in your home where God is the center of it, as it should be. It touches me that she has that kind of compassion for someone older who has lost a loved one. May she always have a love like Jesus for people.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...