Sunday, September 19, 2010

In honor

Everything I know about mothering----I learned from my mother. (Well, okay, not how to make bread, I learned that from Joel's mom----but I suppose that's the same kind of idea ;) But seriously---how to keep a home clean and organized---learned that from my mom. How to plan meals and grocery shop----learned that from my mom. How to keep a budget and balance a checkbook--yep, all mom. How to teach second grade math while checking kindergarten reading, all while NOT burning the soup on the stove---yep, that was my mom's lesson too. How to love a little girl and look in her shining eyes and say 'I love you, my sweet-pea'. Yep, that one definitely came from my mom. How to stand bravely when your three year old pukes his dinner all over you, all the while not freaking out, and giving him a big hug, puke and all----oh, YES, this is not my gifting at all, so the lesson from my mom must have kicked in last May when this actually happened with Eli. I was so proud of myself, and so was mom :) How to snuggle under a blanket with your children and enjoy The Cricket in Times Square, Stuart Little, and Little House in the Big Woods----- yep, many happy memories like this with mom. And finally, how to immerse yourself so deeply into God's Word and His Love that it is totally and completely HIM pulling you through each day. Yep, that one came from my mom.

In other words, I am, as a mom, completely and utterly the product of what I experienced in my own mother growing up. And someday, I imagine, Cosette will say the same thing, as will all my children. And I hope and pray every day that the memories they have, the lessons they learn, will be just as sweet as the ones I have from my own mom.

I was cleaning out my e-mail inbox this afternoon and found a letter that mom had sent me over five years ago, right after Cosette was born. It contained a poem-type essay that she had read somewhere. It was like hearing my mom's voice in my head all over again, so I wanted to share it with you all:




Somebody said that a child is carried in its mother's womb for nine months.>Somebody does not know that a child is carried in its mother's heart >forever.>>Somebody said it takes about six weeks to get back to normal after you've >had>a baby.>Somebody doesn't know that once you're a mother, normal is history.>Somebody said you learn how to be a mother by instinct.>Somebody never took a three-year-old shopping.>Somebody said being a mother is boring.>Somebody never rode in a car driven by a teenager with a driver's permit.>Somebody said if you're a "good" mother, your child will "turn out good.">Somebody mistakenly thinks a child comes with directions and a guarantee.>Somebody said "good" mothers never raise their voices.>Somebody never came out the back door just in time to see her child hit a>golf ball through the neighbor's kitchen window.>Somebody said you don't need an education to be a mother.>Somebody never helped a fourth grader with his math.>Somebody said you can't love the fifth child as much as you love the first.>Somebody doesn't have five children.>Somebody said a mother can find all the answers to her child-rearing>questions in the books.>Somebody never had a child stuff beans up his nose.>Somebody said the hardest part of being a mother is labor and delivery.>Somebody never watched her "baby" get on the bus for the first day of>kindergarten.>Somebody said a mother can do her job with her eyes closed and one hand >tied>behind her back.>Somebody never organized seven giggling Brownies to sell cookies.>Somebody said a mother can stop worrying after her child gets married.>Somebody doesn't know that marriage adds a new son or daughter-in-law to a>mother's heartstrings.>Somebody said a mother's job is done when her last child leaves home.>Somebody never had grandchildren.>Somebody said your mother knows you love her, so you don't need to tell >her.>Somebody isn't a mother.

(This poem is Salmon-colored in honor of my mom )
Let me encourage you all----if your mom is still alive, go and give her a hug today. Tell her how much you love her. I know it sounds cliche, but you honestly don't know when it will be the last chance that you have. A mother is way too good of a thing to take for granted :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jaime: I'm so glad your Mom was such a good teacher and taught you and Wray and Kristin so much! She put her last 23 to 24 years of her life into teaching you guys all she knew, especially how much she loved the Lord!!! And so many of the things she taught you guys has really rubbed off--and I'm so glad for it. I know we have been praying for each other--BUT I've been really missing her today--my heart is aching for her--please send up the prayers when you read this on Monday!! Kristin was really missing her at bedtime tonight--it just must have been one of those days.
Your post encourage me so much--never stop posting.
I LOVE you so much Jaime Girl!!
Good night Jaime Girl (with tears flowing)

Marsha said...

Thanks for posting this. I always made a point of giving Mom a hug and kiss before I left and to tell her "I Love You". I know it has given me some measure of peace over the years since her death because neither one of us failed to give back the love we received from the other. You Mom was truly a one-of-a-kind lady.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...