Saturday, September 04, 2010

Day 3

Have you ever visited Enjoying the Small things? If you haven't, you really, really should. She is like a breath of fresh air. She makes even the simplest things, like a week-end of reading books and drinking hot coffee, sound exhilarating. I always leave her blog feeling challenged to 'be more', to get more out of life.

You see, I am a typical first-born. I have my 'to do' lists, and I'm usually very organized and on top of things. My house is usually very clean and organized, and I know how to get four kids ready and out the door and still be at church ten minutes early. But you see, sometimes I let my 'to do' criteria rule my life a little bit too much. I don't take time to stop and 'smell the roses'. I'm working on it, I really am. I had a bit of a melt-down last night. Joel was gone for the night, and Noah was having an especially trying two-year-old evening. He was into everything. I could feel myself getting more tense as the evening went along.

So, today, we decided to 'savor the moments'. We forgot all organizing or packing for the time being and went on a family bike ride. SO glad we did!


Because there's no group of people I'd rather spend a morning with than these guys:





The soft sound of a flowing river in the background, a cute two-year old cuddled up beside you, peanut butter sandwiches.....I forgot all my aggravation of the night before and just... you know...breathed :)




Who couldn't relax in a setting like this? Looking at these two little people riding their bikes on the bike trail for the first time ever, and thinking "Wow, those are MY kids"---I wish every morning could be as nice as this!




Any guesses as to whose little toes these are? :)





Stop and savor the moment. Hear the river running behind you. Listen to the crunch of the fall leaves beneath your bike tires. Smell the 'fall smell' in the air. Watch as your kiddos ride their bikes and say 'hello' to everybody who passes. Glance over at your husband and smile, marveling again that this is your family. Live in the moment. This is the moment that God has given you, and it is far more important than any 'to do' list. Forget that you're a 'first-born', (or whatever else is holding you back), and go on, find the pleasure of enjoying the small things










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We did a ride today. It felt like October. Bike rides through nature are so invigorating and relaxing at the same time. You all look like you're having a great time. I love the picture of Eli and Cosette riding their little bikes...amazing.

Della

Chuck said...

that is what the word
RELAX
looks like

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...