Sunday, July 11, 2010

To fight a lie

As I was reading a blog the other day, I came across a quote I really liked. I can't remember (as usual) which blog it came from, unfortunately. I have too many things on my mind to remember where I read stuff. Kind of like remembering which brand of salad dressings come with the little holes in the top so you don't accidentally dump half the bottle of dressing on your salad. I hate when that happens. And, I have more of a life than to remember which salad dressings come with the little holes, or I would always buy them....but I digress.


As I was saying, I can't remember where I read this, but the idea was so good, it was worth mentioning. Here is the general thought the blogger presented:


" As I was putting away my husband's laundry the other day, I thought to myself "Gee, must be nice to just magically have clean socks and underwear appear in your drawer, nicely folded, and meals on your table, and so on and so forth. But then, it hit me: Yeah, just like it must be nice to have a paycheck magically appear in your bank account each week!"


I had to wince as I read this, because I am so guilty of the same thing. Instead of remembering that 'a joyful heart makes a cheerful face', I tend to grumble and groan my way through chores, when all the while my husband could be up on some chimney top somewhere, risking his very neck to put a paycheck in our bank account. Talk about an ungrateful wife!!

The sad thing about this is, my husband does help out around the house. He's always more than happy to bathe the kids, get them ready for bed, pick up toys, fill the dishwasher, empty the trash, mow the lawn, whatever needs done. He doesn't take my hard work for granted, and thanks me all the time for what I do.

So why am I guilty of the same thing as this blogger who I mentioned? I dunno. I suppose my own sinfulness. Instead of doing everything quietly and with a cheerful heart, 'as unto the Lord', I let my sinful spirit get the best of me. satan walks around like 'a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour', and he will use lies to do so if he needs to.

I am not going to let him put a damper on my marriage by a lie. The lie that nobody appreciates my work, that nobody knows how hard I work, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Because, the truth is, my whole family knows, appreciates, and tells me THANK YOU for how hard I work. And even if they didn't, I'm supposed to be doing my work as unto the Lord, so none of that should matter anyway.

So now, when I put those clean socks away and fill up the dishwasher, I think of what an awesome husband I have, and I thank God for all the work he does for his family. I try to remember to thank God for my good health and ability to care for the people I love. I pray for the strength to 'resist in the evil day', to recognize satan's lies and knock them down.

Why post all this? So I can come back and read it some day when I'm feeling grumbly and grouchy :) That, AND to encourage you all to find joy in what you do, day in and day out. Even if nobody else really does realize what all you do, the Lord knows, and that's all that matters :)


And now, some pictures, since no post would be complete without a picture or two of the little people in my life :)



I love when Leanna falls asleep with her head on her hand like this!



Noah Shaun with his 4th of July sparkler

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jaime,
I know how hard you work and how much effort it takes. And yes, be thankful you have a husband that thanks you all the time. I probably didn't let your Mom know how much I appreciated all the hard work and effort she put in over the years!!
You and Joel are an inspiration to many!!!
We love you,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Hey, you are a wonderful person and an awesome wife and mother!

I love you!

- Joel

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for sharing this Jaime.....we ALL need these reminders now and then....married or not. I will have to share with you something what happened last week...sometime. Another example that just when we think others aren't noticing what we do or how we feel, they are actually watching us VERY closely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...