Tuesday, April 06, 2010

My birth plan---an excuse for a Mocha Frappuccino!

We are finding it amusing how different a 4th pregnancy can be! With Cosette, I read every 'natural birth' book, every nursing book, every baby book I could get my hands on. This time around......I haven't had a single natural birth book in my hands yet. I guess I'm just kinda hoping it'll go just like Noah's birth went, and I'm kind of just planning on 'winging it' when the time comes :) After all, when this baby is born, it will have been less than two years since Noah was born.....it's hard to forget what you're supposed to 'do' in that short amount of time!

One thing we are doing different this time, however, is that my sister will be present when the baby is born. In the past, it's only ever been me and Joel, a nurse, and my mid-wife. (Grant it, there is usually a surge of family members waiting soon afterwards to see the baby :)

But this time, my sister will be there, and I'm so excited about that! I got to attend the birth of one of my nephews a few years ago, and there's absolutely nothing as exciting as seeing a new-born baby right away, messy and slimy as the babe may initially be ;)

We figured it was getting close enough to my due date that we should probably sit down with Kristin and make sure she's aware of our specific birth plan---things like, "No, I don't want an epidural, thank you anyway", "No, I don't want that IV, I have actually drank three water bottles since lunch time." Our hospital that we use has always been gracious and accommodating to our wishes and desires, and we wouldn't go anywhere else. Still, I feel like anyone that is going to be there in the room needs to know what we want/don't want.

So, anyway, my sister's coming up tonight. We're grilling turkey-dogs. My husband is happy to grill anything for me, even if it is a 'fake' hot-dog, in his opinion ;) Then, we'll sit down and go over the whole birth-plan with my sister. (My sister is a CNA, by the way, so she promises not to be grossed out by anything :)

Oh, and we're using the excuse of her coming up to make Mocha Frappuccinos again. These are incredible!! I was hunting for a recipe online the other week for making a homemade starbucks frappuccino, and I couldn't find any ONE recipe that seemed quite right. So, I mushed several recipes together and came up with something that is SO CLOSE to an actual Starbucks! If you're a coffee lover, check out my recipe below!!

MOCHA FRAPPUCCINO

8-12 frozen coffee ice-cubes (just make a pot of coffee and freeze it in an ice-cube tray. You could use decaf if you're pregnant like me ;)
1/3-1/2 cup cooled coffee
2-3 T sugar
1 t vanilla
a generous drizzle of chocolate syrup
a generous handful of chocolate chips
generous spoonful of vanilla icecream
enough milk to get the right consistency

1. Blend all of the above in a good blender until the coffee ice is all broken up and smooth. You might want to blend the frozen coffee a little before you add anything else to the blender. I know I've given you approximations for several things---just use your imagination and taste-test it till it seems right!

2. Top with more ice-cream and chocolate syrup. Or, you could use cool whip if you want. This makes two BIG frappuccinos, or three smaller ones. And they don't cost an arm and a leg either :)

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love you, Jaime!!! I'm going to try this recipe out soon! It sounds great! And yes....starbucks is an arm and a leg....both of which I'm pretty sure I need to keep :)

so excited to see you soon!! :)

Rachael Boer said...

Yum - thanks for the recipe. I LOVE mocha frapps, so I'll definitely have to try this.
By the way, you are my hero (along with my sister Julie) when it comes to the natural birthing thing. I'm in the "sure, I'll gladly take that epidural, thanks!" camp. :)

plantmyappletree said...

What a great plan for you sisters - I love the idea. I am 'on the list' for witnessing baby 3 of my friend and I am really very exited.
Since Noah's first word was Kristin, what do you think the baby-girl will love her aunt if she's under the first faces to meet ever :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...