Thursday, March 18, 2010

Groundhog Day......Not in this house!

I am a first-born daughter. Do you know what this means? It means that I like to 'get things done'. I like to accomplish things. I like to feel like my life 'means something'. I love a good 'to do' list, seeing those items checked off! Some days, however, I feel like.....I dunno.....like maybe my job as 'stay at home mom' isn't really accomplishing anything. Have you ever watched the movie 'Groundhog Day', where Bill Murray wakes up to the exact same day over and over and over again? Ugh...I can't stand that movie for that exact reason! Some days, my chores feel just like that. The same dishes get put into the dishwasher over and over. The pair of kids jeans that I just washed, dryed, folded and put away yesterday are in the laundry again today. And yes, I will cook another involved meal, just to have everybody eat it and make my kitchen messy again.


At least, these are the thoughts that run through my head. I want to scream to the world, "Yes, I DO have a brain, and I still remember how to use it!!" I think of the working mom, bringing home a nice pay-check each week. I think of the student in medical school, learning new and exciting things each day. I think of, well.....just about anybody but myself, and the sin of dis-contentment creeps in. Instead of seeing all of my blessings, I see what I think I don't have.



But then, I have to stop and, well, slap myself, to put it bluntly. "Wake up, Jaime!" Sure, these are the same silly jeans that were dirty yesterday----be glad you're home with your kids to wash them! Yes, you just spent an hour cooking yet another dinner---and your family is well-nourished, happy, and healthy because of it.


And also, when you look at old pictures like these, and realize that this incredibly mischievious little guy.........

has somehow, in the past four years, grown into this mischievious big guy.......



well, I realize that I did have a big part in that. And yes, I am accomplishing something----it's just a slow work in progress---one dirty pair of jeans, one Bible Story, one math lesson, one hug, one kiss, one day at a time :)

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This is probably one of my favorite posts of yours, so far. I think it's ironic that you are thinking these things because I think the same exact thing in my life. I want more than anything in the world to not come home to an apartment with nobody to greet. To have children to love and feed and take care of. To have a husband who gives me a hug at the end of the day and tells me how much he values me as his wife and best friend. I'm not going to try and sit here and say you shouldn't have those feelings. They make COMPLETE sense to me! All I'll say is that yes, as you have already realized, your life is AWESOME. There are days when I think how blessed I am to have the gift of music and teaching and to be able to lead so many people into worshiping God with music at church. I have things I'm thankful for too. But, there is something about being mothers and wives that God made us especially for and it's a whole that won't be filled until this happens....I hope I didn't just make this post about YOU sound like a post on ME. But, I just thought maybe it would help to share things from another perspective. I hope tomorrow you have a 'blessed' Ground hog day....and just think, in a few short weeks, your life will be very different when you're holding baby Toucan!!! :) Love ya, Jaime :)

Elizabeth

Chuck said...

eugene peterson has a book titled "A long journey in the same direction"
Endurance and Perserverance over the Long Haul is Highly valued by our God, so good job
slapping yourself
and keep on keeping on

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...