Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Me: Noah, mommy needs to wipe the blueberry off of your face.
Noah: At first very compliant, but then beginning to complain a little
Me: Noah, hold still, you have blueberry on your nose
Noah: Now really complaining, struggling, and starting to cry
Me: (Rubbing the stubborn blueberry on his nose even harder) Noah, you must hold still while Mommy gets this blueberry.....oh, that was a scab! Oops! Sorry bud!!
I rearranged some of the furniture in my kitchen today. Now, we all keep trying to throw our trash away on the CD rack!
Cosette can read clearly from the book of Genesis all by herself, but she can't remember how to spell her last name! She always spells it like it sounds---'Cerdus'. Go figure!!
Eli: (With a frantic sound in his voice) Oh no, mom, I left my puppy (stuffed) at Grandma's house!
Me: No you didn't, Eli, I saw you with it in the van. I'll go get it.......Nope, sorry, Eli, it wasn't in the van, either. You're right, it must be at Grandma's house.
Eli: (Bursting into sobs) But Mommmmmyyy!!! I really miss my puppy!
*Later* Eli: Oh look mom, here it is, it was in my room the whole time!
Noah's very first word was 'Kristin'. I kid you not. It wasn't 'Mama, Kitty, Baby', or any other 'normal' first word. It was 'Kristin'. He said it one night when she walked in the front door. Today, he said his second 'real' word,(since 'mama' doesn't really count), which was 'ball'. And who did he say it for? Why, Kristin, of course!
(Yes, yes, at 20 months, he's a little behind in his talking, we know.....but he was walking (no, running!) at ten months, and he memorizes motions to memory verses, and he can hum specific tunes to songs, and point to all his body parts, and sit and listen to the story and color in Sunday School, and put his clothes on by himself, and get his point across one way or the other....so we're not worried! The talking will come when he is ready :)
Monday, March 29, 2010
Well, at least you can't say he doesn't aim high! Grandparents, any of you have an old escalator hanging around in your garage? :)
Saturday, March 27, 2010
Fast forward to Thursday evening. I was there again for Bible Study. I got a bottle of tea out of the fridge, and, while holding a glass, asked if I could open it. My mom was about to say sure, but then remembered the coke incident, and said "Um, actually, no! Kristin, go pour a glass of tea for Jaime!" I laughed at their goofiness---"Guys, tea doesn't explode!" As I shook my head in amusement, I turned around to sit the empty glass and the tea on the counter and.....
The glass just kind of slipped out of my hands.....right onto the hard tile floor in the kitchen, and shattered. No kidding. So we had to stop in the middle of our Bible Study discussion to clean up my broken glass. Mom says it's a good thing Toucan is still in utero right now, or she'd be an endangered species too.....
Let's just say I'm banned from everything in the kitchen now except plastic cups and water. At least until the baby comes and my 'pregnancy clutziness' is gone ;)
Thursday, March 25, 2010
(Picture courtesy of big sister Cosette)
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
1. Reading (or being read to, or Cosette reading to somebody, whatever)
Today, we got out our Pattern Shapes. These are very fun, and a great educational way for little ones to spend some time. Go search for them on amazon if you've never seen them before!
P.S. I know you all are out there!! I see you in my blog-counter thingamajig :) From Ohio to Europe to Canada to Virginia, you all are reading, and that makes me happy. Please use this opportunity to 'make yourself known' and leave me a comment! Of course, I'm privileged even if you don't comment, but that makes it more fun for everybody!
Saturday, March 20, 2010
Even the smallest of people can help.
All you need is a willing heart and a decent set of muscles ;)
You might even be rewarded with a ride!
And besides, working together as a family is fun!
Random Baby Fact #2: I realized the other night that I routinely gain almost half of my normal body weight when I'm pregnant! Think of that---almost HALF of my body weight! No wonder I'm feeling so huge.
Random Baby Fact #3: "Women who have severe heart-burn while pregnant are more likely to have babies with lots of hair, due to the fact that the hormones that control hair growth and acid indigestion are the same." I have had NO heart-burn this time around, so I'm expecting a bald baby ;)
Thursday, March 18, 2010
has somehow, in the past four years, grown into this mischievious big guy.......
well, I realize that I did have a big part in that. And yes, I am accomplishing something----it's just a slow work in progress---one dirty pair of jeans, one Bible Story, one math lesson, one hug, one kiss, one day at a time :)
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
- Well, first we need to start with Cosette's school work of course. But that's okay, because she usually loves to do school. She was very upset the other day when I told her that we'd be taking a short break from school over the summer. Hmmm....might have to re-think that idea. Anyway, she has to spend a while tomorrow morning taking a math placement test so I know which curriculum level to buy her at the home-school fair next month.
- If she gets her schoolwork done in time, I'd like to take the kiddos to story-time at the library. They LOVE this, but we haven't been there since before Thanksgiving!
- Might start planning and mapping out my garden tomorrow and ordering seeds. My garden was semi-successful last year, and I got some good ideas of how to better arrange things so that they get more/less sun. I may try ordering some organic seeds this year....
- Definitely trying a green Mc-Donald's-style shamrock shake after lunch! I'd just go buy one from McDonald's, but that would be spending money, which is a no-no in our house right now :) (See previous Valentine's Day post for explanation on all of that!)
- Have been wanting to try a particular choc. chip cookie that a local bakery makes, but can't find a similar recipe anywhere. I think I'll have to 'settle' for making these
- And, since according to my calculations that will make two 'treats' in one day, I hope that the tread-mill and I will be spending some quality time together as well :)
- And maybe, during the kids nap-time, I can work on finishing the book I'm reading, Heaven is Real, by Don Piper.
Yes, yes, I'll also cook dinner and fold some laundry and change diapers and potty-train a 20 month old. My days as 'mama' are never boring or empty---it's all in finding the joy :)
Monday, March 15, 2010
I told everybody to go to the living room and put their shoes on while I got my jacket. When I entered the living room, I saw three kids with shoes on. HOWEVER: Eli had his on the wrong feet, Cosette was wearing winter snow boots, even though there's practically no snow left, and Noah was proudly wearing his sister's black dress shoes ( I think because he can put them on by himself and strap them) Talk about a hilarious sight!
As I was trying to convince Cosette that snow-boots were not necessary today, Eli decided to help his little brother out onto the front porch, where Noah promptly sat down in a big muddy-wet spot. We had to change his pants before we even left the driveway.
I finally got everybody's OWN shoes on, pants changed, etc, and buckled myself in the van. But as I turned around in my seat to check on everybody, I realized with horror that I'd completely forgotten to buckle Eli into his carseat! He was back there struggling with it himself, poor little guy! So, after giving myself a mini lecture and double-checking the safety of all of my children, we finally pulled out of the driveway.
And how will I run errands when I've added another little one to the bunch this June? I have no idea :) I think we'll be finding the joy of staying at home a LOT more often :)
Sunday, March 14, 2010
One ought to be careful how one prays!!
As it ends up, March is.....crazy! Without going into details, we just have several different things going on, and our schedule is full. Every Sunday evening, I look at the following week on the calendar and am amazed that just about every day is full of stuff. And this is 'stuff' beyond all of our normal school-work, house-work, etc. There are meetings, dinners, church responsibilities, busy work days for Joel and jobs scheduled late in the day.....just tons of stuff!
I know many of you carry on this kind of schedule all the time.....kuddos to you! But it's not for me. With three small children, we like to keep our calendar a little more 'open'. We like to be home most evenings, spending time with our kids, training them, instructing them in God's Word, making our family our priority. If you're out all the time, running here and there, when do your children receive instruction? When do they see how a loving family and a smooth-running house hold are maintained? When are they taught about the love of Jesus? When do they benefit in mind, body and spirit by having regular bed-time routines, and full-nights of sleep?
I realize there are seasons for everything. When our kids are older, I'm sure we'll be out and about more, and they'll have their own activities and such. But now not. Not when their little bodies need routine, training, and sleep-eat-play schedules. :) Thank goodness this 'craziness' is only for the month of March. I can see that things will really slow down again in April. And in the meantime, the rest of March will 'fly by', just as I prayed for, and then, only two more months until Baby Toucan makes her arrival!!! :)
(By the way, many of you have asked where we came up with the name 'Toucan'. NO, this is not the babies real name! :) This is our 'code' name for the baby that Cosette came up with. We didn't want to just call her 'baby number four' until she arrived. I think Cosette had just watched a Dora movie, and there was a Toucan bird in it. So, this little one growing inside of me became 'Toucan' :) I know that when I first hold her in my arms, she will seem like 'Toucan' to me for a while, and not _______ :)
Saturday, March 13, 2010
Tuesday, March 09, 2010
- So I woke up last night with a start out of a sound sleep. My first thought was "Oh no, I fell asleep with the light on again!" (I've been known to do that.) Concerned over disturbing my husband, I reach over quickly to turn the light out. Only, as I flick the switch, it suddenly turns .....ON!! It had been off all along---I must have actually been half-asleep when I thought it was on. Confused, I sit up in the now light room and look at the clock. Midnight. I groan. I have just woken up out of a sound sleep at MIDNIGHT and flicked the light on for no apparent reason. I hear my husband groan and roll over, probably wondering why in the world his crazy wife needs a light at midnight. I turn OUT the light like I had originally intended and go back to sleep. End of story :)
- Cosette's Grandpa said to her the other day "Wow Cosette, with all those pot-holders you're selling, you're becoming quite the entrepreneur!" Eli overheard and said "We don't want any manure Pappy Dale, that's horse and cow poop!"
- We took a walk outside today with only light jackets on and thought what a beautiful warm day it was! Of course, we were thinking this as we walked pass people's yards still piled high with three feet of snow!
- I turned on music today in the kitchen and Noah liked it so much that he started to 'dance'. His dancing mostly includes turning around in wild fast circles. He turned around so many times that he literally fell over and banged his head against the chair. Funny thing was, as soon as I had kissed it for him, he went and did the same thing again!
- Joel found Legos in his clean sock the other day.
See, I told you they were random things :)
Monday, March 08, 2010
Friday, March 05, 2010
Receiving a 'get out of hell free card' is a very good reason to become a Christian. But God has SO MUCH MORE that He wants to offer you. He wants to have an intimately personal relationship with you.
God wants to be more than your Friend.
He wants to be more than your Father.
He wants to be more than even your Lover.
He wants to be the Indwelling Holy Spirit through Whom you move and live and have your being.
Won't you take that step to make Him your 'chosen pleasure', rather than your 'daily duty', or even your 'daily quiet time discipline'. Won't you come under the cover of His protection?
He loves us. And how often we miss this all-important fact. He. Loves. Us.
Thursday, March 04, 2010
This first one is called "Girl in the Sunshine"
This next one I call "T is for Toad"
Why, I even have some abstract work!
One of my favorites is a personal letter sent to me by one of the artists:
Wednesday, March 03, 2010
- Have to sit down and really streeeeeetch to get my socks on.
- Wake up in the middle of the night with terrible 'charlie horses' in my round ligaments (those muscle things on the right and left sides of your stomach). I can't roll over, can't move, can't 'rub it out'----so I end up waking up my husband with all of my moaning and groaning. But hey, you would too if you had a charlie horse in your stomach! Weird!! I don't remember these with my first three. And NO, they're not contractions---totally different!
- Took three days off of all sugar and junk food. Felt good---WAS good for me and the baby. But, tomorrow, we're having strawberry cream cupcakes for dessert :)
- Finally have a baby boy's name picked out, just in case
- Spend ten minutes every morning with two little people rubbing cocoa butter into my itchy dry tummy.
- Can't get full. Can. Not. Get. Full. No matter how much I eat! There is hardly ever a time that I'm NOT hungry.......Tried boosting my protein and fiber intake---didn't really help. I'm still hungry.
- Am playing keyboard at a woman's retreat this week-end. Will probably play standing up because the nasty piano stool throws my pregnant body (i.e, back, hips, legs, etc), all out of wack!
But it's all good! With the arrival of the third trimester it feels like there is 'an end' in sight, and I Can Not wait to see my baby girl!!