- It's healthier. My oatmeal only has 1-2 grams of sugar (none, if you don't sprinkle any on top), and the instant kind usually has anywhere from 12-18 grams.
- It tastes better! Mine has vanilla, cinnamon, REAL blueberries----it puts store-bought instant oatmeal to shame.
- It's cheaper. You can get a whole lot of servings out of one tub of old fashioned oats, and only a few packets out of the instant.
- It fills you up more! You can fix a BIG pot of my oatmeal and everybody gets plenty, whereas the little tiny packets from the store are barely enough to fill up Eli, let alone a pregnant Mommy!
- Um, it takes a few more minutes to make.
So, without further ado, here is my homemade oatmeal recipe:
- 1 1/4 cups Old Fashioned Oats (organic if you want to be super healthy)
- 1 cup water and 1 cup skim or 2 % milk
- generous handful of frozen blueberries
- 1 t vanilla
- generous sprinkling of cinnamon
- tiny dash of nutmeg
- 1-2 T of ground flaxseed (optional, although a great addition)
- sprinkling of brown sugar for the top (also optional)
Mix oatmeal, water, milk and blueberries in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Immediately turn to medium-low heat and add vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. You may need to add just a little more milk if it seems to be getting too thick or sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook for three-four minutes, stirring often so it doesn't stick. If you decide to add flaxseed, put this in at the very last minute and stir.
Allow to cool just briefly, and then put into serving bowls. If you like your oatmeal creamy, add some additional milk. A sprinkle of brown sugar makes it really yummy :)
I'd share a picture with you, but we ate ours too fast this morning :)