Friday, October 02, 2009

What a Mom must do!

He gives more grace......and boy does this squeamish Mommy need it.......


I look outside to the back yard just in time to see Eli pushing his toy dump-truck across the picnic table. Suddenly, it hits a bump, and the bed of the truck comes flying back and hits him in the mouth. I can see sudden pain in his face, and he comes running toward the house. He has a mouthful of blood, literally, and his lip has a nice dent in it too. I calm him down, and work on cleaning it up. Luckily, no stitches were needed, just ice, but it was a nice mess to clean up, and a very scared little boy to calm down....and I think, how much better I handle this now than I would have ten years ago....



I hear cries. I turn around, and find that Eli and Noah have just clunked heads together. I scoop up my 'baby', who seems to be more upset, and hold him against my shoulder, soothing him. It's only after I pull him away that I realize that his mouth is actually bleeding---all over my shirt. And all over him and his clothes......Funny thing is, I never bothered changing my own shirt all day. What's a few drops of blood, anyway?? (Yeah, we seem to have a thing for bloody mouths in our house.....)



The scene: Twenty years ago, and I'm losing my first tooth. I'm terrified. I cry. I want that tooth to stay in there forever. I refuse to pull it, certain that it's going to hurt like crazy. Finally, one night, afraid that I'd swallow it, my mom announces that the tooth must come out. Every single tooth in my mouth came out with just as much sorrow and fear on my part......

Fast forward twenty years. My own daughter comes running to me in delight. Mom! Mom! Look! I think my front tooth is loose! I feel that all--too--familiar lump in my throat, but swallow it down quickly, take a big breath and smile. "Gee Cosette, that's great, let me wiggle it!"


I smile down at Eli as he enjoys his home-made monster cookie. ''That looks like a really yummy cookie, Eli." He smiles and nods, and then generously hands me a piece of that cookie. It's...wet. It's....slobbery. It's...half chewed already. But, my Mommy instincts kick in, and I thank him heartily and pop that slobbery cookie in my mouth. "Yumm.....tasty"


Some aspects of mother-hood are sweet---the cuddling, the sweet baby smiles, the hugs and kisses, the sweet little heads of soft hair....

Some aspects are 'not so sweet'---the blood, the injuries, the snotty noses, the slobbery cookies....

But, God gives more grace where it is needed, and I am ever so grateful :)

1 comment:

Chuck said...

i absolutely positively guarantee
you handled all those better than you would have years ago
the 'mommy genes' are kicking in strong
congratulations

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...