Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Just not sure....

Well, I did it. I finally scheduled an appointment at the Pediatricians for all three kids to get the flu shot, and then I'm getting mine at my next OB appointment. Nobody in our family has ever gotten the flu shot. (Meaning those living in my house right now). My mom used to get it all the time, and never had any problems with it. So, with flu season looking to be bad this year, and me pregnant, I thought we better 'bite the bullet' and just get it.

However.........Joel and I are still really iffy on the H1N1 thing. As much as I absolutely dread the thought of any of us catching that---as much as I dread the thought of being very pregnant and having a severe case of the flu at the same time......we just can't do it. The vaccine is just too new, too questionable---I dunno. I do not handle being sick well---(I usually think that I'm dying this time for sure), so I'd like to avoid it at all costs. Lots of hand washing, hand sanitizer, grocery cart covers, NO thumb sucking (haha, yeah right), trying to avoid large groups of children with snotty noses----am I being over-protective?? I know that we could catch it anyway, it's just the thought of it---ew, gives me the shivers. After Eli's ordeal last spring with the Roto virus--well, I'd really like to avoid anything like that again!

So, are you all getting the flu shot this year? How about the H1N1 vaccine? I'm interested to hear your thoughts on all of it, and how you came to the conclusion that you did :)

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I love this post because I too struggled with the H1N1 decision and I began a post on this same subject on my blog but got sidetracked and haven't posted it.

In my family, we all got the seasonal flu shot. I personally feel that it is safe and well tested and I have gotten it for years and have never had a problem and my kids get it too.

As you know, our kids did get the H1N1 shot today (all got the shot, none of them got the live-virus nasal spray). I would say that 90% of the reason our children got the H1N1 shot is because of Jack's heart defect. It puts him at very high risk of severe complications. And the fact that his heart is not in very good shape right now makes the thought of him catching the flu even more scary. So if I felt strongly enough about it to give it to Jack, than the other two should have it as well. That was my reasoning at least.
I know my situation is far different from most and I can honestly say that I am not sure what I would have done if not for Jack's heart. I am so curious to read the responses from others.
Kelly

Jodi said...

Ugh. I'm not sure either.

One thing I know for sure...I think it's more important to actively pursue a strong immune system than to simply put a band-aid over the flu threat. We're trying to do the same things you're doing...vitamins, nutrient-rich food, no sugar, hand washing, and being cautious of crowds, grocery carts, etc.

Now that doesn't mean there isn't a place for vaccinations. But I'm still stumped on it. I've gotten seasonal flu shots for our kids some years, and some years not. Still praying about it, especially the H1N1. Ugh.

Chuck said...

doing the same as you and for the same reason, plus i am old enough to have seen this come and go once before during the Ford administration and it just came and went
like... well like... every other flu season

Elizabeth said...

obviously, not having kids, I don't know what my opinion is worth. But, for whatever it is, here ya' go. I haven't had the flu shot yet this year, but not because I'm against it--just because I keep forgetting to get it done! I'm at WVU where lots of people have been getting sick--including professors. In fact, I was starting to feel sick today.

I think hand washing, healthy eating and plenty of rest are all things we should do no matter what, because it's going to increase our immune system's defense from all kinds of viruses, not just the flu or H1N1. However, I still think the H1N1 shot is necessary, simply because this generation (including all people under about 60 years old) have never been exposed to it, which is what makes it so contagious and vulnerable to us. I don't know how many people realize this already but this flu is not "new". It was around during our parents (or in some people's cases--grandparent's) generation. That is why they are at a much lower risk of getting it--their bodies already had it and are now, for the most part, immune to it. However, I'm not sure that H1N1 can't mutate with other common flu chains to still get people of all ages sick.

So, there you have it. My mom ALWAYS made my brothers and I get flu shots every single year, on top of healthy life-styles. As adults, I think we try to continue that, just as a prevention.

Anonymous said...

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2009/10/pregnant-women-h1n1-flu-vaccine.html


Jamie...just passing this information on.

Felicia

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...