Friday, April 10, 2009

"Truly this man was the Son of God!"

"And the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom"
Mark 15: 38
This is one of my favorite verses from the entire Easter Story. It's just a short little verse, but so significant. When Jesus died, the veil in the temple that kept ordinary people from entering into God's presence was torn--from top to bottom. This was not an act of man---it was God signifying that the way into His Almighty Presence had been secured. I LOVE this verse!! Think about it!


We are rejoicing and celebrating at our house this weekend. It is so nice to have 'older' children this year who can really understand the significance of Easter. We sat around the table this morning after a nice breakfast and read the crucifixion passage together. When asked why Jesus died, Eli replied 'For my sins!' Yes!! If I have taught him nothing else in his almost-three years, at least he understands this important fact!


Later, we made this Good Friday project with the kids. It's basically making a tomb out of homemade play dough, and then baking it in the oven to harden it. Cosette plans on painting hers after her nap, and placing the homemade Jesus in the tomb. On Sunday morning, they will wake up to find their homemade tombs empty, and be reminded again of Christ's resurrection.

On Saturday evening, we will be making resurrection cookies, yet another way to impress the story of the Crucifixion/Resurrection on little minds.

And, yes, in case you're wondering, we are also dying Easter eggs later this afternoon. We will be going to a Good Friday service at church this evening. We will also be having some of Joel's family for brunch tomorrow morning, and then joining them for lunch on Sunday after church.

We are also rejoicing that although my extended family is spending Easter in Baltimore at John Hopkins hospital, it will be with my grandmother, who is expected to have a very good recovery from her open heart surgery. And, although we are sad that she can't be with us this weekend, we are so glad that she is in such a good hospital, being taken excellent care of, and recovering to a much healthier body.
God's goodness is all around me this Easter Season, and I wanted to share my joy!!
HE IS RISEN!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

HAPPY EASTER JAIME!!! I hope you and your family have a blessed Easter Sunday. I enjoyed hearing about your creative activities with the kids. I spent much of today at church, alone, practicing music for church and other gigs too. I also made time for ice cream today and a long visit with Sarah and her kids...I miss those days of just hanging out all afternoon!! I'm so glad we don't live far away...you and I on the other hand....we need to clear some distance!!!! :) :) Anyways, Happy Easter and talk to you soon,

Elizabeth

Chuck said...

He is risen, indeed!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...