Saturday, April 18, 2009

Homeschool fair

We went to the homeschool curriculum fair today. (For those of you unfamiliar with this, it was held at a big fair ground area, and there were literally hundreds of vendors there selling home-school curriculum-- enough to please any home-school mama's heart!) Anyway, it was not exactly how I wanted to spend my Saturday. After the difficult, emotional, physically draining week we had with the funeral and everything, I just felt like crawling up on the couch with some hot chocolate for the day. But, the curriculum fair only comes around once a year, so we decided to make a family day of it and do what had to be done.
In the end, we were so glad that we did! We left the house at 7:00 this morning, and didn't get back until 4:30. We spent the whole day walking around, looking at books. The kids did sooooo well! Noah sat in his stroller, babbling and smiling, then he took a nap for part of the afternoon. Cosette and Eli were great too. They walked around all afternoon without complaining even once, and had a good time looking at all the interesting materials that were there. Daddy even bought them a treat of honey stix and pencil grippers :) We had a 'picnic' lunch outside of the building, and the kids thought that was just great!
I think I actually managed to buy all of the books that I'd been hoping to find, and stayed well within my budget (making myself very proud!). I remember going to this same fair when I was in school with my mom, and it was fun to be the one actually buying the books this time! I was really pleased with my selections, and I think the kids will have a fun time with their new school books. (Well, okay, Cosette got school books---Eli got a bunch of really fun looking 'hands on' kind of stuff that he thinks is just a bunch of new toys).
In the end, we had a fun time together as a family, which made for a welcome relief after this past week. This day would have been nearly perfect, if I hadn't had to miss a relative's baby shower. My original plan, before Grandma passed away, was to go to the curriculum fair, and then to the shower, which were fairly close to one another. However, I was just too exhausted after everything this week. The fair, yes, had to be done.....but after that, I was ready to go home and crash! So, sorry, Kelley, I would have loved to have been there-- and many blessings on your soon-to-be bundle of joy!!
And now, I am one weary mama, and hoping that tomorrow will be the start of a better week. Please, remember to keep praying for my Grandpa, who is sure to be feeling very lonely right now...

4 comments:

Helen said...

Wow, this reads like a cool day out. Do you visit this, to do homeschooling right now at their age, or are you actually planning homeschooling later?

Have followed quite some discussion here in Germany lately in the newspapers - homeschooling is considered illegal over here and some parents who did it nevertheless are in serious trouble because of it.

Elizabeth said...

I'm glad to hear that you and your family did something fun today (well, yesterday). It was such a beautiful day outside too! I was stuck inside for pretty much all of it but I basked in it the day before :) I'll keep praying for you all and for your grandpa.

Elizabeth

p.s. I'm really looking forward to coming up next time and if we're at the house maybe I can play some of those "games" with Eli :) I bet you are just loving these years with all of your kids so small and cute :) I'm sure it's exhausting too...but I know you love it! :)

Jaime said...

Helen---Yes, we're homeschooling now...AND later, unless God directs us otherwise :) Fortunately, it is quite legal here in the states, and homeschoolers typically do fairly well in academics.Plus, I feel like it gives me more control over their spiritual well-being. (That isn't meant to 'knock' parents in Germany or elsewhere who don't have these choices--children can be raised well no matter what as long as they have loving, caring parents.However, we are glad for this opportunity since it is available to us!) We have many, many, friends who are homeschooling, and both Joel and I were homeschooled for most of our education. Grant it, it does mean that mama has to be on top of things, well organized, and working hard---but I don't mind :)

Beverly said...

I would LOVE to know what you got for Eli, Jaime. I have my own mishmash of things that I use for Selena, so I'm always open for new ideas.

Praying for your Grandpa.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...