Saturday, March 07, 2009

7 Random Things

A blog is such a nice place for unloading all the stuff on your mind!


1. We had our annual women's retreat at our church this week-end. It was pretty awesome. The speaker was fabulous! The ladies at our church were great and didn't ask me to help any this year (probably because of my little brood of toddlers and a nursing baby!), so I was able to just go and enjoy the retreat. My wonderful husband kept the kiddos for me. What a great guy! One of my favorite ideas from the retreat: "Don't let circumstances control your life; live in the power and abundance of Christ!


2. Eli correctly identified two colors for me the other day---hallelujah! I think he may be finally catching onto this 'color' thing...


3. Here is one of the recipes I promised in an earlier post. I've always kind of laughed at the word 'cous-cous', because it makes me think of the movie ' The Emporers New Groove' everytime I say it :) Regardless, this was a really yummy recipe, and it only takes a couple of minutes to make! (Disclaimer: If you make this and have little kids, it WILL end up all over your floor--but trust me, it's worth it :)) By the way, cous-cous is a quick cooking product, kind of like a little tiny pasta, that can be found in the rice section of your grocery store.

Curried Couscous with dried cranberries

1.5 cups cous-cous
3/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries
1 T curry powder ( I used a little more)
dash of salt
1 t sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup oil (I used extra virgin olive oil, and really only about 1-2 T)
2 T fresh parsley, or a good sprinkling of dried parsley
juice of half a lemon, or 1-2 t bottled lemon juice

1. Stir first five ingredients in bowl. Boil 1.5 cups of water, pour over cous-cous. Add the Orange juice. Stir, then cover. Let sit for five minutes, or until tender.

2. Add the rest of the ingredients, stir evenly.

3. Serve warm or cold.



4. We have been trying lately to be more 'intentional' with the time we have with the kids. We want them to learn true compassion at an early age. We have just started studying some of the 'Prisoner Alerts' with them that are printed in the Voice of the Martyrs magazine. (Grant it, if details are too scary for them, we make them a bit more age-approapriate. I don't want them having scary dreams--but I do want them to have mercy for fellow Christians!) Then, we locate the country of the prisoner on the map, talk a little bit about that country, and spend some time praying for the person. If you don't already get their magazine, I encourage you to go to http://www.persecution.com/

5. I have NEW blinds on my windows now! They open AND close, go up AND down! As you can tell, I'm a little happy about this.

6. I need more time to read. I have a stack of special-order books from the library, all due back in three weeks. There's no way I'm going to get through all of them! Do you think anybody would miss me if I just go hide in a closet somewhere until I'm finished reading them? ;)

7. I scrubbed my floor the other day. Then Eli spilled a cup-ful of milk on it. Then he dumped the sugar from the sugar bowl on it. Then Cosette walked across it with dirty feet. So, I'm resolved--no more cleaning floors! ;)

8. Okay, I lied, I have eight things for this post. My husband brought me three red roses the other day with beautiful little purple flowers mixed in. I love that man!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...