Thursday, February 19, 2009

Copying a good idea....

Thanks to the different people who have been doing these 'seven takes' posts on their blogs. It seemed like such a good idea, I decided to copy it! So, here are seven random, un-related things I am thinking about today.


1. Cosette came to me today and asked me to play 'Marry' with her. Confused, I asked "Mary? You mean, like, Mary and Joseph?" She replied "No mom, like "marry", like, we're going to have a wedding!" Oh. So, I was the minister, Cosette was the bride, and Eli was the reluctant groom (He was bribed into the deal by a promise of pretzels afterwards.) Here is a picture of the beautiful bride. Eli refused to have his picture taken, though. I guess he thought that was just too much!






2. Do you all remember popples? They're little stuffed animals that 'pop' themselves inside out and turn into a little pocket type of thing. I used to love them! Today, Cosette asked me to tell her a story about when I was a little girl, and for some reason, all of the sudden, these popple creatures came flooding back into my mind! I went online to do a search, and found them! Here is a picture of the exact popple I used to have. I know it is, because when I saw it, I was all of the sudden filled with that same 'little girl' feeling of fun and excitement. Isn't that crazy, how something from our childhood can stick with us for twenty years or more? Mom, do you remember this popple?




3. I am so proud of Cosette. She is working through her reading book and doing so well. She is reading simple sentences like "Sam is mad at me", or "The rat is sad", and doing a good job with it, too! Also, today I gave Eli a page with a big letter 'A' on it, and he actually managed to do a decent job copying it onto his own paper. That's a first for him! He's still struggling with his colors, though. He can group them into piles, and sort colors for me, so I know he's not color blind. But he just can't remember which color name goes with which color. I guess it will come when he's ready!




4. Here is our semi-new favorite way to eat vegetables---Take some of your favorite veggies--ours usually include broccoli, green and red peppers, red onion, carrots, and mushrooms, although you could also add red potatos, squash, fresh green beans, whatever----toss them with just a tablespoon or so of olive oil, and put them in the right size glass baking dish. I just usually use however many vegetables I'll need for a paticular meal. Sprinkle some basil and oregano on them, and mix in some grated garlic if you like. Roast, uncovered, at 400 degrees until tender. It depends on how soft you want them, but it usually takes ours about 35-40 minutes. Then, right before serving, sprinkle with feta cheese. Mmm, mmm! Talk about good!





5. My husband is the best. While the kids were sick (well, they're still sick, but doing much better today), not only did he go with me in the middle of the day to the doctor's appointment, but he also did all the grocery shopping for me! I couldn't leave sick Noah, and I couldn't take him with me, so Joel went instead! And let me tell you, he is one good grocery shopper, for a man ;)


6. Joel and I are memorizing Romans together in the New American Standard version. It's been a little bit of a challenge for me, because I grew up with NKJ. But, I'm glad we 'switched' to a different version--I like the fact that it's more 'accurate to the original'. The kids are also memorizing Genesis chapter one, and it's been a challenge for me as I help them, because I realized that somewhere along the way, I'd lost my own ability to quote that passage! I realized that even something as familiar as the creation story needs to be reviewed every now and then!

7. The other day, Cosette asked me "Mom, when is Jesus going to come back and visit us?" Such simple, true, and encouraging faith!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...