Saturday, February 28, 2009
While waiting for my sister to come get Eli tonight, Joel was feeling significantly better and was sitting on the couch reading a book to him. I was watching Eli's little feet stick out over the edge of the couch as he looked intently at the pictures. He's such a precious little boy---I pray every day for patience and wisdom to be a good mama for him!
And Noah---well, let's just say that Noah loves to eat! While I was feeding him his rice cereal and baby food green beans tonight, he was practically jumping out of his seat for them! He gets so excited when he sees me mixing up his food.
And Cosette--well, what can I say? She's growing up! As I was helping poor sick Eli the other morning (he was the first of us to get sick), this is what she did ALL on her own---made my bed, picked up the toys in Eli's room, gathered all the dirty laundry and took it to the laundry room, and picked up the toys in the living room. I was so proud of her! Of course, she did ask if she could have some quarters to put in her piggy bank for all her hard work, but I didn't mind :) She is also learning (along with Eli as a 'helper'), to clear the table after dinner. Except for the occasional plate of food being spilled on the floor, they both do a good job!
Well, that's all my ramblings for now. I'm going to go nurse Noah (who stayed with me tonight, obviously), and hopefully get a good, long night's rest! I could use it.
Friday, February 27, 2009
Hebrews 9:24: "For Christ did not enter a holy place made with hands, a mere copy of the true one, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us;"
1.) His first coming was to save us from the penalty of sin
2.) His present intercessory ministry between us and God is to save us from the power of sin
3.) His second coming will deliver us completely from the presence of sin.
In other words: His first coming saved us from hell; His present work, made possible also by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, saves us from the power that sin had in our lives; His future coming will, once and for all, free us from sin completely--whether in our lives or the world around us.
Like I said, no new thoughts here really, just awesome to think of what God did, is doing, and has yet to do. He didn't come 2000 years ago and then leave us on our own to figure things out. His ministry is on-going and alive! Praise God!
Thursday, February 26, 2009
I came out to the kitchen this morning, and Joel and Cosette were already up. I gave Joel a hug and said " I just had the most horrible dream! I dreamed that the government was making a mandatory draft (is that redundant?) and you were being shipped off to Iraq!" Cosette, listening in, said " That would be okay, Mommy, we could all go to 'the rock' and go fishing!" :) I guess she misunderstood me ;)
Also, just a little venting here. My kids have all been sick pretty much since I got back from North Carolina. I have hardly been anywhere in the past two weeks. I have spent nearly every day at home, taking care of sick kids and dishing out medicine and antibiotics. I've felt like I've been punished for going on vacation! Well, yesterday things were looking up. Everybody was feeling better, Noah was on his last day of antibiotics, and my sister VOLUNTEERED to babysit tomorrow night! She said Joel and I could have a date, and she'd watch the kids. Oh, let me think..yes!!! Bless her heart! It was all looking just swell...until this morning, when Eli woke up throwing up. *groan!* I just about cried (Okay, I did!) How much more of this can I take? I was seriously pitying myself. Well, it's 2:30 right now, and so far, no more throwing up, either from Eli or anybody else. I have my fingers crossed that it was just something he ate, and everybody else will be fine! 'Cause I really don't want to deal with another round of illness so soon, and, I REALLY want, no, need, to go on that date with Joel tomorrow! Say a little prayer :)
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
FOR TODAY: Tuesday, January 24, 2009
Outside my window... It is sunny and warm-looking, but I think it is actually very cold out there.
I am thinking...That I am so glad for the mom's Bible study that meets at my house. Although today it was more of a fellowship time, but that's okay! Adult conversation is always welcome around this house!
I am thankful for... My husband--always, always, always!
From the learning rooms... Cosette and I did a reading lesson this morning before the boys woke up. She is doing so well, and is really looking forward to being able to read books on her own. She's close! Eli wrote a perfect letter 'A' yesterday, which really impressed me.
From the kitchen... Cheeseburgers tonight! Well, Turkeyburgers to be more specific :)
I am wearing... Oh, wouldn't you like to know what I was wearing yesterday? It's much more interesting, because today it's just my comfy jeans and sweatshirt again!
I am creating...Clean cupboards in my house! The cleaning cupboard underneath my kitchen sink is done, and I am so tickled with it! Next, it's on to the hall closet, but that will be a much larger project....
I am going...nowhere in the near future, but I'm trying to figure out how to work a date night with my husband in some time soon :)
I am reading...Several books right now. I have a bad habit of doing that. I'm reading 'How to cook without a book', 'Journal for Jordan', and 'Acquired Tastes'. I'm not sure about that last one yet, whether or not I can recommend it, so don't go ordering it or anything ;)
I am hoping... To have dinner done tonight before my piano student gets here.
I am hearing... Nothing but the ringing in my ears. Always the ringing in my ears. You know how they now have lazer surgery to correct many eye-sight problems? Well, someday, someone is going to come up with something like that for people with hearing loss--hopefully before I'm old and gray!
Around the house... I purchased a really long feather duster the other day---Be Gone, corner cobwebs!
One of my favorite things... Watching the clock getting closer to 4:30. (When Joel gets home)
A few plans for the rest of the week: Go grocery shopping sometime, finish my books (or maybe just 'finish one of my books'?), and keep Eli safe from breaking anything or hurting himself :)
Sunday, February 22, 2009
Second is Noah's dedication at church today. For those of you unfamiliar with this practice, it's not like an infant baptism. It's simply a parent's opportunity to express their desire in front of their whole church family to raise their child in the fear of the Lord.
Friday, February 20, 2009
So, anyway, since the library was the highlight of today, I thought I'd share a few funny things that happened while we were there:
1. Eli brought me a book and asked me to read the book 'out loud' to him. I took it in my hands, and was mortified when I looked down and saw that it was called "What color is your underwear?" It was a kids book all about animals in their underwear, but still! I had quite a job convincing him that mommy would NOT be reading this book out loud in the library!
2. When I got up to the desk, we had a huge stack of books, as normal. I was over-seeing the checking out of the books, with one eye on my two older children, sitting in chairs beside the desk, and one eye on Noah, asleep in his car-seat beside me. An older lady was standing beside me and said ''Awww honey, do you have a daycare?" *snicker!*
3. When we were finally finished, I had to get two toddlers out the door, a baby in a car-seat, my purse, a HUGE bag of heavy books, and a smaller grocery sack full of books. The librarian looked at me in sympathy and said "Oh, and, um, I'll help you to your car!" When I thanked her, she said 'Don't worry about it, I have kids too...had kids...mine aren't this small anymore...of course, there were never this many....or this close together....but anyway!" LOL
Thursday, February 19, 2009
5. My husband is the best. While the kids were sick (well, they're still sick, but doing much better today), not only did he go with me in the middle of the day to the doctor's appointment, but he also did all the grocery shopping for me! I couldn't leave sick Noah, and I couldn't take him with me, so Joel went instead! And let me tell you, he is one good grocery shopper, for a man ;)
6. Joel and I are memorizing Romans together in the New American Standard version. It's been a little bit of a challenge for me, because I grew up with NKJ. But, I'm glad we 'switched' to a different version--I like the fact that it's more 'accurate to the original'. The kids are also memorizing Genesis chapter one, and it's been a challenge for me as I help them, because I realized that somewhere along the way, I'd lost my own ability to quote that passage! I realized that even something as familiar as the creation story needs to be reviewed every now and then!
7. The other day, Cosette asked me "Mom, when is Jesus going to come back and visit us?" Such simple, true, and encouraging faith!
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Did I read my Bible today? Nope. Did I get on the treadmill? Nope. Did I fix my hair or put on makeup? Nope. Did I get my cleaning done? Nope. Did I get my laundry done? Nope. Did I get my overdue books to the library? Nope. Did I return that phone call to a good friend? Nope. But, I did...
Administer medicine to three sick kiddos
Hold a tired, sick baby
Clean out that babies nose
Administer more medicine
Clean out babies nose again
Administer more medicine....
You get the picture. Tomorrow, my goal is to maybe actually fix my hair and look like a human before my husband gets home. In the meantime, dinner is actually in the crock pot, and I'm glad that I can love my family, even through the 'bad times' :)
Saturday, February 14, 2009
So anyway, thanks for indulging us and reading our 'beach letters' for the past week! It was a fun way to communicate with the kids while we were gone.
That's all for now. It was a long drive today, and I'm tired and headed to bed.....
Friday, February 13, 2009
Well, I guess this will be our last letter to you guys, because tomorrow night we will be home! I can't wait to give you guys a big hug and hear all about your week--what you did at Grandma's house, how your sleep-over was, Cosette, and everything else you did!
Here is a funny picture of mommy putting her feet in the ocean. As you can see from the look on my face, that water was COLD!! Brrrrr!!!! My feet actually hurt after I put them in there. We also saw a really big jelly fish on the sand today that was rather slimy and disgusting.
Have a good last day at Grandma's house, and we will see you tomorrow! Love you,
Daddy and Mommy
Thursday, February 12, 2009
I'm sorry, no pictures or videos to share tonight--partly because I didn't take any today, and partly because our internet connection is too iffy right now to try down-loading any! We had a beautiful day today, sunny and warm. Daddy and I had dinner at Out Back tonight---our main 'eating out' meal for the week :) Noah has been enjoying his sweet potatoes, and I think he's ready to try some more veggies when we get home. Daddy and I are going to relax and enjoy our last day down here tomorrow.
We hope you two are having a fun time. This is the longest we've ever been away from you, and Mommy is really starting to miss you! I will look forward to giving you great big hugs on Saturday!
We love you lots,
Mommy and Daddy
P.S. Noah discovered his tongue today. He keeps sticking it out, making it pointy, and grabbing it with his fingers. He was having trouble eating his dinner because every time Daddy put a bite in his mouth, he would stick his tongue out! It was pretty funny :) Eli, I remember when you learned to find your tongue. Daddy would say, 'Eli, where's your tongue?', and you would stick it right out :)
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Dear Cosette and Eli,
Here are some video clips for you to watch that we took today. The one with Daddy and Noah on the beach is funny because at first, Daddy thought I was just taking a picture! The second video is just Daddy sitting in a restaurant drinking a smoothie (a smoothie is kind of like an Orange Julius :)
Here are some other funny things from our week so far.
1. Noah has been crawling all around and trying to pull himself up on stuff--but he keeps falling down and bumping into things, so he has some bruises and bumps on his face! Poor guy
2. Mommy realized today that I have eaten almost an entire jar of nacho cheese sauce all by myself this week--Daddy hasn't eaten any!! (No comment, Aunt Kristin)
3. The warm weather is so much nicer for Mommy's sore hands---they are not cracked or bleeding anymore! I can bend them and use them ever so much nicer!
4. Last night, Daddy beat Mommy at a game of chess, and this morning, he beat me at a game of Dutch Blitz.
5. This is how warm it is today--there was a lady in the Smoothie shop with shorts, a tank top and sandals on!! It will be hard for us to come back to winter coats and snow!
That's all for now. We love you guys, and will see you in a few days!
Daddy and Mommy
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Today we visited the Wright Brothers museum. The Wright brothers were the first people to fly in an airplane, and it happened right here! There was a big monument up on a hill, and we walked up to it. It was a long walk up that hill, and very, very windy. But, it was fun and neat to see. You might notice that in the pictures Daddy and I don't have jackets on---that's how warm it is today!
Monday, February 09, 2009
This is a video of Joel playing 'blocks' with Noah right before bedtime last night. Watch Noah's expression carefully after he knocks over the blocks---it's priceless! I love it ;) I think he is enjoying the extra Mommy and Daddy time here at the beach.
Sunday, February 08, 2009
Hello from the beautiful Outer Banks! God has blessed us with really warm weather here, at least for these first couple of days. It was almost 60 degrees today! There were people walking on the beach with shorts on and no shoes! I couldn't believe it. It's hard to believe it's still February and there is snow at home! It feels like spring down here.
Daddy and I are having a fun time! We enjoyed walking by the ocean today, which is beautiful. It is only a short walk from the house where we are staying. This morning, Daddy beat mommy at a game of Dutch Blitz. Since today is Daddy's birthday too, he got to pick his birthday dinner--roast, mashed potatoes, and roasted veggies with feta cheese. Yum Yum! Oh, and Mommy got to read a whole book, start to finish already :)
Noah seems to be having a good time. He tried climbing the stairs last night, and he has been practicing standing up by the coffee table. Tonight, he is going to try some sweet potatoes for dinner!
Later this week, Daddy and Mommy are going to try some new restaurants, visit the Wright Brothers plane museum, enjoy the nice weather, take nice long walks, and watch some good movies. I'll make sure I post lots more pictures so you guys can see what we're doing!
We miss you two alot, but we know you are having fun with Grandpa and Grandma! We love you!
Daddy and Mommy
It was hard to take a picture of all three
of us---this one makes my nose look
Daddy with Noah on his shoulders
Thursday, February 05, 2009
I sent him to the bathroom today to wash his hands. When I didn't see him for a few minutes, I went to check on him. He was carefully painting his fingernails pink!! He had managed to get six of them done before I got there and was looking at them admiringly. Oh my! I quickly explained to him that his Daddy would have an absolute fit if he saw him!
Later tonight, I was helping him put his pj's on, and I lost my balance and almost fell backwards on a little night-stand thing that he keeps some toys on. I caught myself, but Eli asked what had happened. ''Oh, Mommy lost her balance and fell." He replied: "Oh, where you fall mommy, on your butt?" (Pardon the use of a no-no word, but that's what he said!) "Um, yes, Eli" "Oh, I kiss it for you!" *grin*
It's times like those that just make me want to laugh and laugh! Then, there are the sweet times. Such as this prayer that he said at breakfast the other morning:
"Dear God, thank you for my bagel. Thank you for Mommy's bagel. Mommy my best friend!" We'll ignore the fact that on some days, Winnie the Pooh is also his best friend---on this morning, Mommy was his best friend :)
Or there was the day when I found him sitting at the table with his chin in his hands, looking sad. ''What' up, Bud?" "I miss my Daddy!" It was the middle of the workday, and apparently he was really missing Joel! I think it's sweet that when he talks about Joel, he always refers to him as 'my Daddy', not just 'Daddy'
He also thinks it's great fun to switch people's names around, and it drives Cosette nuts. Eli will look at me and say "Hi Cosette!", and then look at Cosette and say "Hi Aunt Kristin!" Oh, Cosette gets aggravated and usually refuses to play along, which just adds fuel to Eli's fire! I just get a kick out of the fact that he can understand a 'joke' like that at two years old!
He loves to ride his bike, go down the carpeted stair steps on his belly, and generally jump around on anything and everything--so his poor knees and legs are often all dried up or scabbed-up.
I know these things may seem mundane and normal to any other person, but to his Mama, they are things to be remembered! Someday I pray, my grown up boy will stand inches above his Mama, and I'll have these sweet memories to compare to the wonderful young man he will be. He'll sit at our table, proudly introducing us to his new girl-friend, and I'll remind him of the time he offered to kiss my owwie on my backside......or maybe not ;)
Wednesday, February 04, 2009
1. I got up early this morning and had a nice quiet time before any of the kids woke up.
2. Noah looked incredibly sweet in his new 'big-boy' blue-jeans
3. I have the most awesome husband I could have ever asked for
4. My Dad somehow pulled into the gas station right behind me today and pumped my gas for me! (Hey, it's the little things that count!)
5. My husband is getting subs for dinner (mostly because I burned the chicken in the crock pot, but we won't get into that because I'm supposed to be focusing on the good right now...)
6. My hands are not nearly as dry and cracked today (I'm grasping at straws here, I know)
7. Cosette and I stole a scotcharoo (a gooey chocolaty rice krispy thing) from my moms kitchen when we stopped to use her potty ( long story, don't ask)
8. I found a new diaper bag in WalMart today that I actually like (You know how some people have problems buying too many shoes? Well, I have a problem with diaper bags and purses...I'm determined that I'm actually going to find one of both some day that I actually like, and so I just keep buying them) So, we'll see if this one holds up to my standards or not.
And.....that's about it. But, hey, the day is only 2/3 over, so I'm sure it will hold more good stuff :)
Monday, February 02, 2009
My mommy is the best cook
She cooks the most yummiest food
She takes good care of her family as good as she knows how
She tries to keep us healthy so we won't die
But we'll all die someday
Then, she looked up at me with complete love in her eyes, and I had to swallow my laughter as to not hurt her feelings. I could tell that she wanted me to be impressed and greatly moved by it. I gave her a big hug and thanked her, but in my head I was thinking "Is it a poem? Or a prayer? And how can a poem/prayer that starts out about something as nice as food end with something as sad as death??" Good grief, I think my daughter has deeper thinking than I do!
Sunday, February 01, 2009
Okay, all you Grandma's and 'Noah lovers' out there-- Leave a comment and let me know if you'd like a print of one of these pictures, and what size :)
Also, I'd thought you'd enjoy a little trip down memory lane, so I'm re-posting one of Eli's six-month pictures, just for the fun of comparing the two boys and how much alike they are. You'll notice, though, that Eli had a good bit more hair at this age. However, Noah is already sitting up by himself and crawling, and Eli wasn't to that point yet in this picture! Both of my handsome boys on one page--I'm one proud mama! ;)