Sunday, January 25, 2009

What they come up with!

While staying at my parents house over the week-end while Joel was away, Mom, Kristin, Cosette and I were standing around the bathroom door watching Kristin get ready to go to work. (This is what girls do, stand around and gab while they fix their hair, right? )Anyway, Kristin was combing her hair and brushing her teeth, when suddenly, out of the blue, Cosette looks at me and goes:


"Mom, I think I'm old enough for my own makeup now, don't you?"


It was all I could do not to crack up! There stood my little four year old, trying to convince me she was 'old enough' for makeup! Mom said "She's all girl!" And I said "And so it begins!"
I stooped down to my daughter's level and explained to her that she was already beautiful just the way God made her, and that besides, makeup is for much, much, MUCH older girls. She looked disappointed and asked how old. "Well, Cosette, you will need to wait until you are at least sixteen", I said, picking a randomly 'old' sounding number off the top of my head. "Oh. That's pretty old, right mom?" "Yes, Cosette, that's pretty old. But in the meantime, would you like some chapstick?" This seemed to satisfy her, but goodness, what will she be asking for next, the keys to my car?!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

and so it begins....haha :) I thought the same way when I was about 4. My mom used to buy me some kind of little gir's chapstick called "twinkle...something or other. Anyways, seemed to do the trick for me. I must have gone through a bottle of chaptstick a week cause it seemed like she was always getting me more...that satisfied my "girlish" desire for makeup...until the teens....good luck Jaime!!! haha :)

Anonymous said...

I REMEMBER GROWING UP, I WANTED TO WEAR BLACK EYEBROW PENCIL. MY PARENTS WOULDN'T HEAR OF IT SO I SNEAKED AND PAINTED THEM TO GO TO THE YOUTH FELLOWSHIP MEETING BUT BEFORE I GOT OUT THE DOOR, MY DAD SAID, YOU GET THAT STUFF OFF RIGHT NOW. MY FEELINGS WERE HURT AND I NEVER DID THAT AGAIN. G. ROSINA

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...