Friday, January 02, 2009

Calling all books!

Editor's Note: After doing this post, I read another favorite blog of mine and found
this list of books that this Christian mom intends to read. So, I'll probably be working my way through many on this list as well. But please, don't let this stop you from helping me out with this post! :)


I enjoy reading. When I was younger, I used to read allll the time. I'd always have a stack of books I'd be going through. Well, I still always have a stack.....except now, I just don't have time to go through them quite as quickly. However, this is my plan. I would like to start the New Year out with a list of 30-40 good books that I'd like to get through during the year. That way, if I have a goal, maybe I'd be more intentional about finding more 10-15 minute time-slots to sit down and read!
Okay, now, the real reason for this post.....I need help! Please, those of you out there who are always reading and recommending good books----comment, comment, comment! Tell me what good books you've read lately, what books are your favorites, what you recommend, etc. Feel free to leave me a long list too, that would make me happy :)
Okay, now, I like to read a pretty wide variety of books, but, to help you along, I'll let you know what I definitely DO NOT enjoy reading. I don't do Christian Romance fiction stuff, or secular romance fiction stuff for that matter, either. I don't do horror stuff or things that will give me bad dreams at night. I don't really do alot of novels, either, unless they're classics, like A Tale of Two Cities, or Les Miserables. Other than that, I'm pretty open to anything. Here are a few categories of things I really enjoy, though.

Biographies: Historical biographies or present-day

Christian classics: Such as C.S. Lewis, Spurgeon, Oswald Chambers, etc.

Family Helps: Anything to do with family or child training, encouragment for women, etc.

Couple helps: e.g.-- Love for a lifetime, by Dobson, Capture His Heart, by Lysa Terkeurst, etc.

"How to' books--e.g. How to decorate on a dime, use your slow cooker, plant an organic garden, whatever

Book of the Bible studies---anything devotional like, thought provoking, etc.

Comics--No, not like Peanuts! Funny, humerous books that are gonna make me laugh at the end of a long day!

Those are just a few that pop into my head at the moment. Feel free (please!!) to leave me your suggestions :)

4 comments:

Beka said...

Hmmm... where do I start?
A few of my favorites:

:: The Hiding Place and Tramp for the Lord by Corrie ten Boom

:: Spurgeon: A New Biography by Arnold Dallimore

:: Stepping Heavenward, The Home at Greylock, and Aunt Jane's Hero by Elizabeth Prentiss

:: Ten P's in a Pod by Arnold Pent III (available at visionforum.com)

:: Passionate Housewives: Desperate for God by Jennie Chancey and Stacy MacDonald (available at visionforum.com)

:: Free Grace and Dying Love by Susannah Spurgeon

I'm sure I'll think of more, and if I do I'll let you know!

Happy reading!

Helen said...

I mainly managed to empty out my brain over the holidays, so I just come out with two suggestions spontaneously:

- Barack Obama "Dreams from my Father" is an amazing book that really got me. I was just being curious for that guy who was just elected president, but I wasn't prepared to read such a warmhearted and good book!

- Comics: Do you know the "Baby Blues" Books? If not: oh come on, you just have to get one. It's showing a family's every day life and it is hilariously funny.

Oh, and: A HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you and your family and a belated birthday hug to Cosette!

Will you tell me your birthday? Maybe I should know it from reading your blog, but I cannot remember any post related to your birthday.

Jaime said...

Helen---yeah, I love Baby Blues books :) I have a nice stack of them.
My birthday-- October 19th :)
And Happy New Year to you too!

Chuck said...

this is kind of "out of left field" but that is typical of me

I have a book and a challenge, that i think you are up to, in fact i think God has prepared you for such a time as this

Read the book of Zechariah and under the guidance of the Holy Spirit write a "commentary" on it similar to 'matthew henry'...
The book is seen by many as very hard to understand and yet having much to do with and say about the end times and the coming millenial kingdom of God, so it is a book that we need to understand and comprehend on a deep level...

like i said "left field" maybe even "deep left field"

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...