Saturday, December 20, 2008

Tempted, but not giving up

Today I came closer to abandoning the whole nursing thing than I ever have. And that's saying alot. Anyone who knows me knows that I am totally dedicated to nursing my babies. However, today, I just wanted to say "Somebody feed that baby a bottle, please, and let me get on with my life!!" But I didn't, and I will perservere. But, oh, what a difficult day we had....

For the past few days, Noah has been on a 'nursing strike'. He refuses to eat on schedule, and when he does eat, it's hardly anything at all. I discovered why today---he has two teeth popping through in the bottom of his mouth. Well, that answers that question. And most of you are probably saying "So, what's the big deal? He'll eat when he's hungry, right?" For a bottle-fed baby, yes, it would be ' no big deal'. But, we nurse exclusively, and let me tell you, this IS a big deal! You see, Noah will cry to nurse, I'll sit down and get all situated to nurse, and then he'll either not nurse at all, or nurse just long enough to bring my milk in, and then cry to be put down! So, I have two options. 1.) Ignore this, and go on with my day. However, if I do this, I will end up stuffed full of all the milk he does not want, sore, in pain, and with possible infections. Yuck. Not fun, been there before... or, 2.) Use the nursing pump to get rid of all the unwanted milk. Needless to say, I have gone with option two! But, it's not fun. For one thing, it makes me feel like a cow. For another thing, it takes that crazy little pump forever! So, Eli's crying and needs mommy....forget it, she's pumping. Cosette needs help with something, where's mommy? Oh, she's pumping.......again!
I am this close to losing my mind, folks. A mind is a very nice thing to have, I'd rather not lose mine! Pray for me! Pray that Noah suddenly regains his appetite, that his two little teeth pop through reallllllly quickly, and that we can get back on our nice little convenient nursing schedule! Christmas is coming up soon, and I'd like to be sane for it...... ;)

7 comments:

amy said...

Jamie, your post fills me with sympathy for you. Not that I have experienced it, but Rachael's baby Carter gave up nursing after she stopped for a day or two because she was sick and she has to pump all the time now and give it to him in a bottle. He has been a very high-maintenance child, LOL...so today I was driving them to the hospital to meet JULIE'S BABY (!!!!) and she was pumping in the back seat! So even though she doesn't have other children demanding her attention, I think she could have great empathy for your situation.

Anyways, we will pray for you and Noah! Julie's baby is adorable. Born today, Anna Claire - and Julie is our hero, no drugs! Brian did wonderfully, too. All are resting comfortably tonight. Anna was 6 lbs and 11 oz. There are pictures on my facebook page...look for Amy Cooper Heckman if you are on facebook and you can "friend" me to see them. otherwise i can email you pics if you send me your email address! :-)

Blessings...

Chuck said...

get thee to beachy's and smear some teething gel on those teeth...
and yeh we'll be praying for you

Adam and Jen said...

You are a good nursing mommy! You have done way better than I have! Mariah is to the point now where she screams at me when I try to nurse her. She is bottle fed also but half the time, I don't remember to pump and formula is our good friend these days. On the bright side, with those teeth growing in, Noah could bite you and that would hurt!! :) I hope it gets better for you. Your perserverence is to be commended!

Elizabeth said...

Of course I can't relate with this but I have seen your perseverance and I admire you! I said a prayer for you and for Noah. We'll trust that God will help you with this. He cares about our EVERY need. Sounds like you have a great support system...just too bad Joel couldn't step in and do something..haha :) I'll be praying for your sanity too!!!

Elise said...

Oh, sweetie- I'll pray for you! I feel your pain, for sure, and just want to remind you (which you already know) to keep going... it will pass, and he'll settle in for a good nurse one of these days and you'll cry tears of joy! :)

(((you)))

Anonymous said...

Jamie - the first thing I thought was what chuck posted, teething gel! -- God allowed me to get wisdom teeth in around the time I was uncompassionately nursing a child - THEN I KNEW how much they were hurting so I was ever mindful of helping ease the discomfort and the gel is really safe for them. But about the nursing,
If you can get him to latch on for a good minute to 'bring it in' - I wouldn't pump *lol* I've used that cow analogy, I HATED pumping, so I didn't. But when my milk would come in *sorry TMI for some of you* but I'd just place a burp cloth beneath and let it just let down and out (into the cloth, into the laundry) and then the pressure wasn't nearly as intense. And with the gel or some tylenol, the kids could get past it enough to nurse. I agree with the post above, this will pass soon, stick with it.
I was so sad when Patience was 9 months old and I had to ween her because I became pregnant for Judah *sniff*sniff* so just ride this wave and I will be praying for you, too.

Love & prayers, Laura Bean

Anonymous said...

oh, also when the let down happened, just some gentle manual expression helped, too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...