Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving Highlights....

We had a wonderful holiday. It all began bright and early on Thanksgiving morning with Eli bouncing up onto our bed. Joel said "Happy Thanksgiving, Eli", to which Eli replied "Merry Christmas, Daddy!" LOL ---gotta love that kid!

The kids made 'Thanksgiving posters' , and I had them cut out of magazines things that they were thankful for. Cosette's list included pictures of 'boots, hats, Baby Jesus, her baby brother, baby dolls, and sleds'. Eli was having trouble cutting his pictures out, so he asked me to do it for him. He'd flip through the magazine, and then he'd stop and say something like "Donuts! I dankful for donuts, mommy. Dut dat out! (Cut that out)" It was so sweet. By the end, he had a poster full of pictures of donuts, a birthday cake, toys, friends, gingerbread men, and a snowman :)

Then, we had a special Thanksgiving service in church this morning with communion. Cosette had been speaking to us since the last time we had communion that she felt like she wanted to take it. Now, I know many of you come from slightly different denominational backgrounds than we do, and you might disagree with our choice, but that's okay. We decided to let her take communion. She was able to explain to us the significance of it, and she assured us many times over that she had already asked Jesus into her heart (a fact of which we were already aware). So, my little not-quite-four-year-old took communion this morning, and I feel like we made the right choice. She's so smart--she seems to understand it completely, and after all, Jesus did say, "Let the little children come unto me...." If she is a follower of Christ, who am I to forbid her in taking communion?

Well, I was playing keyboard this morning , and the kids were sitting with Joel in the service. They were being very good for him. However, right after communion, Eli slipped off of his seat and BANGED his head on the floor. Enter serious screaming and crying here. I was up on the stage watching all this unfold, helpless to offer any assistance to my husband. I watched as he scooped up Eli and took him out of the service. Noah was asleep in his car-seat, and Cosette sat beside him like a perfect little lady until her Daddy returned. I couldn't help but feel proud of her as I sat up there on the stage watching her :) (Eli was fine, by the way, just a nice bump :)

Joel has been off work since Thursday, and we've enjoyed having an extended week-end with him. He gets so busy with work and church duties sometimes, that's it's nice to have him all to ourselves for several days in a row :) We plan to finish our 'festivities' tonight with some yummy snacks, maybe some hot cocoa, and starting our Advent celebration with the kids. We are reading 'The best Christmas Pageant Ever' this Advent, and Cosette is just dying to find out what happens to those Herdmen kids.....

Well, maybe all of the above was boring reading for you, but I had to share some of it. My heart is over-flowing these past few days with love for my family, and I'm looking forward to enjoying the rest of the season with them!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hi Jaime! It's nice reading what you did for Thanksgiving. I'm glad you all are enjoying this time of year!! I'm adding "visit to jaime's house" to my list of reasons why I want to finish this paper and my other school work and practicing....can't wait for Christmas to arrive!!!

Beverly said...

You have such a lovely family - I am so glad that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Enjoy your precious ones!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...