Sunday, September 28, 2008

A side of Jaime you don't often see in this blog...

I am sitting here, listening to the distant sound of my neighbor's music playing outside. We live in a very quiet, peaceful area. We very seldom hear any noise from our neighbors, so I don't complain when we do. However, the sound of their music took me back to my college days......

It was the first week of school, and I hadn't had hardly any sleep. My room-mate situation was not working out well at all, and my dorm-neighbors on my right side were night people. LOUD night people---like, playing loud music and having groups of people over at 2:00 a.m.--every night of the week! Well, we eventually resolved the sitation by moving me to a different room at the end of the hall where I could get some sleep at night and do some studying by day.

And this thought brought back all of the other memories of fall campus time:


Walking over to the chapel early in the morning, in the cool, crisp fall air, to practice on the grand piano before anyone else got there.

Sitting and enjoying my lunch in the campus cafeteria before my next class; eating an occasional waffle with icecream for dinner :)

Having music history study groups until late at night, trying to recognize the difference between a Bach piece and a Handel piece.

Tuesday morning chapel services, where I dreaded having to sing with the chapel choir; praying that nobody could pick out my horrible singing voice.

Sitting in my music theory class, trying to take good notes from our professor, who was the best teacher ever. I learned sooo much from him!

Throwing down my backback in front of my music locker. It (the backpack), weighed about 1000 pounds :), and I often wondered why in the world I was taking 21 credits....

But then, I'd go back to my dorm room and look at my 'Joel Shrine', as my good friend Liz liked to call it. It was a collection of notes he'd written me, a picture, a teddy bear from him.....yeah, my Joel shrine :) And then I'd remember just why I was taking 21 credits this semester....


To get finished with college! And that brings me back to the present day. Sitting here in my own house, with my husband asleep on the couch, and three beautiful children all taking naps. Needless to say, I'm headed back to my 'Home among the Hills' for my 5 year reunion and homecoming next month, and I've been doing some 'life reflecting' lately. I can't believe that this is the same me that walked those campus side-walks, day after day. I can't believe it is the same me who obsessed over every single letter grade, who worked like a dog, and thought that college was never going to end.....I've now added memories of my wedding, my honeymoon, almost five years of marriage, three births and three wonderful children....the list goes on. Yes, my good 'college home', I'll come back and visit you. I'll eat dinner another time in your cafeteria, I'll listen to a concert in the chapel, where I used to play so often myself, I'll walk on your familiar side-walks, and experience that same 'college student' feeling. But then, I'll get in my mini-van, and it will hit me that I'm not a college student anymore. I'm a wife and mother, and loving every minute of it :)

(Forgive me for digressing from my normal blog material (my children!). Sometimes, you just have to sit and reflect on things....)

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Jaime, you have given me hope that there really is life after college! You have proven that it doesn't last forever, and there is life outside of textbooks :-)

Elizabeth said...

Jaime,

You made me cry!! We share some great memories. You were such an inspiration to me in college, because you worked so diligently, and you walked with faith every step of the way. You are even more of an inspiration to me today, with all that you do as a mom, a wife, a great friend, etc.! The other day someone asked me if I was the person in the other room playing the Grieg Concerto. I smiled and said "No., but once I played the accompaniment/orchestral part with a friend" and it brought back more wonderful memories...remember when I dropped the pencil inside the piano during one of our rehearsals and the piano tuner had to fish it out??!! We're going to have a great time in 2 weeks and I'm REALLY looking forward to it :)

Love, your friend,

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Jaime,
You made your Dad cry too!! It all seems like another life time ago. I'm sooooo PROUD of you !! I love you! Dad

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to bring back memories of college years although I can't remember any of mine. Have a good time and tell me all about it when you get home. G. Rosina

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...